Biology HL or Physics HL

dongle238

Hey guys, I am about to enter my first year of IB and I am about to face one of my most important life choices - whether to take Bio or Physics. In fact, if my school allows it, I would love to take them both along with my other subjects (see below) in exchange for the manifestation of pure suffering "Chinese A Lit". However, since my school forces us to take Chinese A if we are "Chinese Enough" I only have one vacant spot left and am currently deciding between the two aforementioned subjects. So I was wondering what type of US university courses (biomed, engineering etc) will Choice A (see below) tend towards as opposed to Choice B (see below) 

Choice A: HL: Bio, Math, Chem
                 SL: Econ, Eng A Lit, Chinese A Lit

Choice B: HL: Physics, Math, Chem
                 SL: Econ, Eng A Lit, Chinese A Lit

Any advice will be much appreciated!!!

Edited by dongle238

Are you interested in biomedical sciences, engineering or biomedical engineering?

If you want to do any kind of engineering, I would STRONGLY suggest taking physics. Choice B is perfect for preparing you for an engineering pathway.

If you like biology/premed more, then go with Choice A. Again, it's a great subject combo if that's your goal.

In fact, those two options (engineering and med) have been options which I am heavily considering. However, one reason why I am shying away from Med (and thus biology) is due to the prolonged amount of time spent on the degree (around a decade). Are all biology related courses in US so long? If so, I guess I'll just stick to physics. 

Most careers in biology will require extra schooling to be employable. You're probably looking at 6 years of school for any decent career and 10+ for any type of doctor or PhD.

Engineering will be a shorter pathway but is also quite a bit harder.

In the end, go with what you like more