US Application Process

dongle238

Hey guys!! I'm a student about to enter my first year of IB and I was wondering how the application process to US Universities work? When do we have to do what? Does a discrepancy between predicted and final grade matter? and how do receive conditional or unconditional offers?

Each US university manages its own admission process and deadlines. There is Early Decision, Early Action, and Regular Decision. ED and EA are due around August-October, while Regular is due December-January. Generally you have to have all forms, essay responses, grades and references ready by a certain deadline, and SAT/ACT tests ready by up to a month or so after this deadline. I suggest submit application at least 2 weeks before the deadline to avoid lack of space and being placed on wait-list. 

Applicants with solid academic history will likely receive unconditional offers. Applicants who receive such offers do not have to meet any expectations for final grades. Sometimes students from a high school rarely applying to the university will get conditional offers regardless, as the university may be unsure if the grades are inflated. 

• Like 1

Sorry just as a follow up question. Is there really any downside to Early decision/ early actions? Meaning I could shamelessly ED to an Ivy League and get rejected without much consequence other than being rejected. They won't blacklist me or look down upon me if I apply again right?

22 hours ago, dongle238 said:

Sorry just as a follow up question. Is there really any downside to Early decision/ early actions? Meaning I could shamelessly ED to an Ivy League and get rejected without much consequence other than being rejected. They won't blacklist me or look down upon me if I apply again right?

It costs about $100 to apply to a school and it's not like chances go up dramatically in Regular. I do not know if schools blacklist you or anything like that.