Are we the God to lesser creatures?

kman

Many people have made good arguments against the prospect of "lesser" creatures and the superiority of man, but I'll consider it lesser in the way that they don't have the capacity to earn degrees and build their world in the magniude that we have.

If we were, in fact, Gods to these creatures, I think the main difference between us and our God is that our God is aware that He is a protector whereas we are not. It is commonly said that God died on the cross for our sins. This implies his role of protector.

Creatures seem to be very afraid of us, if we were a God to them, we have probably destroyed it through the havoc we have created in the environment. I do think that there are some people animals see as protectors, like Jane Goodall.

In short, I think domestic animals, such as our pets, see us as protectors and animals who know we have taken care of them (mothers are usually very careful and protective oftheir offspring but often you will see them allow a human that they trust to handle them) assuming that we take good care ofthem without abuse.

To insects and creatures far smaller than we are, humans appear large and extremely powerful. Thus, are we seen as a "God" to a creature like a mosquito. If this is the case, might it imply that our "God" if he exists, is not aware of his role as our protector?

Well, aside from the fact this comes from a flawed argument when it comes to the fact that you'd have to assume the statement that "God is identical with anything large and extremely powerful" to be true...

You'd be forced to proceed from this thought (that the statement is true) in the following manner:

1. God is identical with anything large and extremely powerful

2. To small insects etc. we (humans) appear large and all powerful.

3. Therefore we are gods.

...and presumably therefore move onto, by way of common fact: "We are not Gods". Therefore one of the two statements must be incorrect, #1 or #2. It's not #2 as we would and do appear large and all powerful to small insects etc. So presumbly the incorrect statement must be #1. God is not large and extremely powerful. Indeed, if we do not exist as Gods to insects, why does a God exist to us?

However, if this debate was meant to be about human superiority over animals, I believe we are superior to animals in a number of key ways, first and foremost being the fact we are self-aware. Only we can actually conceive of "superiority" (although presumably it might be analogous to physical dominance amongst animals), only we can recognise that we exist and reflect on that fact. It doesn't necessarily give us any additional rights, but it is a superior function, and the basis of our planet-wide dominance. That and opposable thumbs of course ^_^ If total power can be considered "God-like", I suppose we could be considered as Gods to other animals.

• Like 1

To insects and creatures far smaller than we are, humans appear large and extremely powerful. Thus, are we seen as a "God" to a creature like a mosquito. If this is the case, might it imply that our "God" if he exists, is not aware of his role as our protector?

However, if this debate was meant to be about human superiority over animals, I believe we are superior to animals in a number of key ways, first and foremost being the fact we are self-aware. Only we can actually conceive of "superiority" (although presumably it might be analogous to physical dominance amongst animals), only we can recognise that we exist and reflect on that fact. It doesn't necessarily give us any additional rights, but it is a superior function, and the basis of our planet-wide dominance. That and opposable thumbs of course ^_^ If total power can be considered "God-like", I suppose we could be considered as Gods to other animals.

In the vernacular, "god" is commonly used to describe the person with the greatest skill in an area. The most adroit of the WoW gamers could be their god. Kinda like they crown/accept him/her as their king [or queen]. Which would link back to the concept of divine right. So yeah, I can see what you and kman are referring to.

But then again, in reference to Roy's The God of Small Things, is the most miserable man the god of miserableness? Or would the least miserable man hold this title?

• 6 months later...

I think that we are not gods to "lesser beings", but rather we are the dominant species, which I don't think is interchangeable with God. And anyway, i don't think "lesser beings" have religions. They do things by instinct, not by emotion usually. So if the "lesser beings" do not have a religion, we are not their God. lol It's kind of weird to call the animals "lesser beings"

I'm a christian that is why I can conclude that God is simply a single omnipotent entity that represents good as well as created all this universe must exist in my belief, but by claiming that we are God just because we dominant over insects seems a bit arrogant as well as in a way demeans the definition of God. Also I would like to ask how do we claim something as a "lesser being?" do they have to be smaller and weaker than us to be counted as our lesser? as well as do we have the right to call them inferior?.

I still don't get which definition are we using for both God and "lesser being" can someone clear it up for me?

I'm new at this, so forgive me if I repeated something so obvious in everyone's mind or missed out a point that I should have expanded on

• 5 months later...

You guys should read (or attempt to read) the Cognitive Theoretic Model of The Universe by Christopher Langan. There is an interesting section pertaining to this argument.

All I have to say is that other animals must have a lot of gods! Seven billion of them or so.

lol while IO was writing this someone touched up on what I just mentioned

Edited by Center Field

I think animals see us as providers rather than gods. Of course birds and other such animals who see our "advanced" technology compared to theirs think we are more advanced and superior, thus stay out of our way, but no animals ever worship us or submit their territory to us. and i think the title is unfair, animals and mammals are not "lesser creatures".