Study scheduling

Max Fung

Hey guys, 

I'm about to start my IB journey in the upcoming week. In preparation, I have created a sort of study schedule for myself to use as a reference during the academic year. Below I have attached the schedule I have created. I have factored in my weak subjects and my strong subjects (Strong subjects get a little less revision time). Can you IB veterans please tell me about your study routines and schedules and tell me whether if my drafted schedule is overkill? That would be great, thanks in advance. 

Side note: I am probably going to change the schedule once i get a feel for the course after 1-2 months into the academic year

Schedule V1.docx

• Like 2

Looks good but a bit too much, don't forget to make at least one day less busy so that you will refresh. If you start this much this fast without gaining momentum step by step you will burn out quickly. Go easy at the beginning and then increase to this level in at least 2 week. Again don't forget to make one day a bit more kind of a relax day. Though this is my idea, you know yourself better. Good luck!

Ib is a relentless and unforgiving course. I think it's extremely beneficial to revise along the way, but be careful of burning yourself out too fast. Take it easy at first and only revise topics you have trouble with. Set limits to your amount of time revising!! I commend your effort and planning though - it's a good sign you're the right kinda student for IB.

8 hours ago, _rjr17_ said:

Ib is a relentless and unforgiving course. I think it's extremely beneficial to revise along the way, but be careful of burning yourself out too fast. Take it easy at first and only revise topics you have trouble with. Set limits to your amount of time revising!! I commend your effort and planning though - it's a good sign you're the right kinda student for IB.

Thanks, I think 4 hours a day is the most I can do realistically. Heard from older friends that IB is way easier if you give yourself a plan, which is why i'm making one before school starts. Read a blog from a guy who got IB 45, he said for very good results, around 4 hours a day is needed.

16 minutes ago, Max Fung said:

Thanks, I think 4 hours a day is the most I can do realistically. Heard from older friends that IB is way easier if you give yourself a plan, which is why i'm making one before school starts. Read a blog from a guy who got IB 45, he said for very good results, around 4 hours a day is needed.

Everybody's free to pursue his dreams, but I'd consider reevaluating if you're aiming for a 45 for the sake of getting a 45.

After considering my daily activities and homework time (around 1.5 hours), I have created a second version of the schedule I posted here yesterday. Please give me some of your thoughts on it, that would be great. 

Side note: Anyone here have experience with the ACT's? I am considering studying in the US for university

Schedule V1.5.docx

Edited by Max Fung

It's great you're considering writing down daily tasks on a whiteboard!

To-do lists on paper are great, but if you've got a whiteboard in a place where you look at often you're reminded of the tasks subconsciously.

I think 3 hours or - roughly 3-4 tasks including homework - is a good idea, because often people over-plan activities for a short amount of time.