Ib subject choice

Lunar7

Hey guys! This year I'm starting my IBDP and I have a few questions regarding my choice of subjects. I have chosen the following but there is still time to make changes:

Math HL

BM HL

Econ HL

Albanian Literature HL

Chemistry SL

English Language SL

Is it a good choice to take both BM and Econ? I want to major in Business so I don't know If I should take BM/Econ at HL or History HL. I have a strong math background so I'm definitely taking Math HL. Should I make another change to my list?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you for your response. I've just been informed from my school that I can't take economics and chemistry!!!! It doesn't make sense!!!! I'm not that good at biology and physics so I don't know what to take as a science and economics is very important to me. Is Biology SL difficult?

Edited by Lunar7

On 8/18/2017 at 3:47 PM, Lunar7 said:

Thank you for your response. I've just been informed from my school that I can't take economics and chemistry!!!! It doesn't make sense!!!! I'm not that good at biology and physics so I don't know what to take as a science and economics is very important to me. Is Biology SL difficult?

Concerning your school not accepting econ and chem is most likely because of the time table.

Concerning bio and physics, here is my knowledge: Physics is a "logic" subject, where we give you a base and you need to use this to figure out an answer. Biology is a much more "learning" subject, as there are far less "logic" parts. Chemistry falls somewhere in between the two.

Having done bio HL and physics SL, I personally had more ease with biology, but it really depends on what you prefer. It might also be good to take your future wishes into consideration. Considering you want to study business after, physics might be slightly better because of the use of equations and logic.

Biology SL is do-able, as long as you can "learn by heart" a bit and you study, then you should get a decent grade.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2017 at 4:57 PM, Lunar7 said:

Hey guys! This year I'm starting my IBDP and I have a few questions regarding my choice of subjects. I have chosen the following but there is still time to make changes:

Math HL

BM HL

Econ HL

Albanian Literature HL

Chemistry SL

English Language SL

Is it a good choice to take both BM and Econ? I want to major in Business so I don't know If I should take BM/Econ at HL or History HL. I have a strong math background so I'm definitely taking Math HL. Should I make another change to my list?

Any help is appreciated!

This might be a bit late, but I'd strongly recommend against B&M HL, or B&M in general. It's seen as a 'soft subject' and might lower your chances of getting into a good uni (definitely in the UK). Take History, start at HL and drop to SL after a year, or something like that, as long as you're interested in History -- your SL exam will be loads easier after a year of HL, too, because you'll get a lot of context. 

Martijn.S is very right about how sciences work in the IB -- bio is memorisation, physics is exercises and chem is inbetween. If you're not good at sciences but remember facts well, bio is a better choice.

Good luck!!

• Like 1