IB Chemistry without IGCSE?

RoshanRamnani

Hi

Im considering taking Chemistry as a subject in IB because I am yet to start school but I am not too sure about it as I did not take Chemistry as a subject for my IGCSE/GCSE.

I wonder what you guys think about this and it would be really helpful if i could have a general comparison of chemistry as a subject in IB and IGCSE

Thanks a lot :)

Hi!

Well it definitely depends on whether you want to take HL or SL chemistry, and how much work you're willing to put in. Doing IGCSE chemistry IS incredibly helpful if you ant to do chemistry IB because many of the core content is similar, however it is not essential to do IGCSE in order to do IB. If you want to, and I would strongly advise you do, take some time to read over the chemistry IGCSE syllabus and the IB syllabus, identify the topics that you would have seen in IGCSE and perhaps read a little about them so that you are better prepared to take IB chemistry (especially if the other people in your class DID take IGCSE chemistry, so that you can keep up their pace).

That being said, chemistry is surely one of the most challenging subjects, so perhaps you should start of doing SL and, if you feel you are up for it and will work hard enough and have the necessary grades, consider taking it in HL.

• Like 2

IGCSE chemistry is definitely not a pre-requisite. I myself started out with much less chemistry knowledge (didn't even know stuff like what acids or bases were or anything about rates of reaction, let alone more advanced topics like organic chemistry), and I'm doing perfectly fine in HL right now. However, @MaferAA is still correct, in that it would be very helpful indeed. His suggestion of starting off with SL first before moving into HL is also pretty good, especially seeing that the HL material builds off the SL stuff. It may be more efficient to focus on the IB syllabus only, but I'd imagine the IGCSE syllabus would provide a more gentle introduction to high school chemistry, so either method would be OK. 

On 8/14/2017 at 7:20 PM, RoshanRamnani said:

Hi

Im considering taking Chemistry as a subject in IB because I am yet to start school but I am not too sure about it as I did not take Chemistry as a subject for my IGCSE/GCSE.

I wonder what you guys think about this and it would be really helpful if i could have a general comparison of chemistry as a subject in IB and IGCSE

Thanks a lot :)

yeeeeeee boiiiiii started out ib chemistry SL without iGCSE and averaged 3/7 for the first term. Worked towards a 7 (still in SL) by end of the year and decided to move up to HL -> had bad final exam days where things were just pretty ****ty and I didn't do enough revision - still got a 7.

iGCSE is definitely not required nor necessary so long as you're willing to put in the effort.

Edited by IB`NOT`ez
  • Like 3