Biology SL vs Physics SL (which one is harder)

ourstarsalign

Hey guys! So Year 1 is right around the corner and I'm pretty excited but have recently ran into a problem. 

I've chosen physics SL for my Group 4 subject, but have recently considered switching to Biology SL since I've heard that it's less difficult. Is this true? 

Personally, I am quite decent at math and pretty good at memorising things. I have some background in biology (only the basics) and very little in physics. 

None of these are required for the University program I wish to attend (Econ/Business). I also dislike the sciences in general so I'd rather just choose the easier subject lollll. But I guess physics would be SOMEWHAT helpful since it's related to math, but then again, I've heard that it's quite difficult. 

Which of the two would you say is easier and which one would you recommend if I'm just trying to get the highest grade possible in my Group 4 subject? Thanks!

Hi,

This choice is really up to you. I would suggest you to have a look at the syllabus of Physics Sl and Bio Sl, and which ever makes you feel comfortable please go with that. The thing is I heard in IB nothing is hard as long as you understand the syllabus etc. If you are doing Math Hl, then you shouldn't have much problem doing Physics Sl, I am not sure about Bio since I hate it lol. There are some aspects of memorising(But not much) in physics so as you say you are good at some memorising then I would say go with Physics sl. 

Finally, if you are doing Maths sl then worry not. The ib physics course is designed for students to take with maths sl coz a knowledge in maths takes you a long way in ib physics.

So, as I said have a look at both syllabus and then carefully make your decision.

Good Luck with your IB :) 

Hey 

In my opinion a strong mathematics background doesn't always correlate to ability in physics. I'm doing Math HL and have always been very strong at maths, but I find physics to be quite difficult at times even at SL level. Friends who take Biology SL say its not particularly challenging, so I'd go for biology if I was in your position. 

5 hours ago, Chirag said:

The thing is I heard in IB nothing is hard as long as you understand the syllabus etc.

Definitely not true, there's a reason why grade boundaries for 7s are between 70-80 for most subjects. 

All the best for your IB journey :) 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Meme Lord 8000 said:

Hey 

In my opinion a strong mathematics background doesn't always correlate to ability in physics. I'm doing Math HL and have always been very strong at maths, but I find physics to be quite difficult at times even at SL level. Friends who take Biology SL say its not particularly challenging, so I'd go for biology if I was in your position. 

Definitely not true, there's a reason why grade boundaries for 7s are between 70-80 for most subjects. 

All the best for your IB journey :) 

Hey,

Thanks for ur response, it was just my opinion abt physics lol but anyway no probs. Btw, how are you going in maths hl? Is it as hard as people make it seem I know it's highly subjective question, but what is ur opinion? Are the unit tests like completely different to whats taught in class, we have had much of maths hl class thats why I am asking you this. Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, Chirag said:

Thanks for ur response, it was just my opinion abt physics lol but anyway no probs. Btw, how are you going in maths hl? Is it as hard as people make it seem I know it's highly subjective question, but what is ur opinion? Are the unit tests like completely different to whats taught in class, we have had much of maths hl class thats why I am asking you this. Thanks in advance.

Hey 

In my opinion it's not as hard as it's made out to be. I'm sitting on a comfortable 7 now. I'd already finished Australia's final school exams for Math before starting IB so was familiar with the topics in advance. I feel exams are comprised mostly of straightforwards questions similar to whats taught in class so if you know your stuff free marks, but there are always a couple tricky ones that seem out of left field. Key is to not panic, draw diagrams and draw connections to what you're familiar with. If you haven't made any progress after around 2 minutes looking at it skip it and come back. 

As long as you pay attention in class and consistently do past paper problems set by the IB (ideally every night for about an hour) you'll be good. 

All the best :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Meme Lord 8000 said:

Hey 

In my opinion it's not as hard as it's made out to be. I'm sitting on a comfortable 7 now. I'd already finished Australia's final school exams for Math before starting IB so was familiar with the topics in advance. I feel exams are comprised mostly of straightforwards questions similar to whats taught in class so if you know your stuff free marks, but there are always a couple tricky ones that seem out of left field. Key is to not panic, draw diagrams and draw connections to what you're familiar with. If you haven't made any progress after around 2 minutes looking at it skip it and come back. 

As long as you pay attention in class and consistently do past paper problems set by the IB (ideally every night for about an hour) you'll be good. 

All the best :) 

Thanks soo much,

I have also done 5 months of pre Ib tutoring and so even I am familiar with the topics now lol. But your input has made me fell a lot better. Hopefully I will do well, thanks again and good luck for ur exams next year :) 

Edited by Chirag
  • Like 1