Internal Assessment Questions

zYvy

So I've been encountering a few problems with my I.A. and I was wondering if anyone would want to help

[b]Word Count[/b]
are the following things included in the word count?
tables, graphs, footnotes, materials, procedure, appendices

[b]Title Page[/b]
in the criteria it says that the date should be clearly stated in the title page; is this the date in which i submitted my IA, or the date of the IB session? (so May 2009 session)

for a more complex problem... My experiment involves the social facilitation theory. I wanted to do memory because I just like it more, but my teacher said that it is best for us to do it on the social facilitation theory. So I decided to listen to her. The social facilitation theory is: Tendency for the presence of others to enhance performance on easy or learned tasks and to impair performance on difficult or novel tasks. So what I did to test it was take 20 students, and have them complete a simple maze and a complex maze in isolation, then take those 20 students and have them complete another simple maze and complex maze in front of an audience. The problem here is: I have [b]two independent variables[/b]. One- the presence of an audience, Two- the difficulty of the mazes. Now, I told the teacher what I was going to do and she approved it. I did my experiment, finished it, turned in my first draft and all... I got back my first draft and I got an A. My teacher said it was a very good paper, and that I was only missing a few points. So I felt pretty good about it. Now my final draft is due in 2 days, I went through the criteria to check that I have everything, and I saw that [b]we cannot have more than one independent variable[/b]. My question is... What do I do?????????? Why on earth did my teacher confirm it so many times if its not allowed?
Any suggestions?

Last thing: does anyone know of a good website that explains the T test?

Thank you!

Guest Philippe Arni

hi,
doesnt your teacher help you with these kind of details??? Anyways go to [url="http://www.cranepsych.com/Psych/index.html"]http://www.cranepsych.com/Psych/index.html[/url] it
answers all your basic questions.... Cranepsych is the key to success in Psychology.

Good Luck

Edited by Philippe Arni

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Philippe Arni

[quote name='zYvy' post='29918' date='Dec 8 2008, 07:29 AM']So I've been encountering a few problems with my I.A. and I was wondering if anyone would want to help

[b]Word Count[/b]
are the following things included in the word count?
tables, graphs, footnotes, materials, procedure, appendices

[b]Title Page[/b]
in the criteria it says that the date should be clearly stated in the title page; is this the date in which i submitted my IA, or the date of the IB session? (so May 2009 session)

for a more complex problem... My experiment involves the social facilitation theory. I wanted to do memory because I just like it more, but my teacher said that it is best for us to do it on the social facilitation theory. So I decided to listen to her. The social facilitation theory is: Tendency for the presence of others to enhance performance on easy or learned tasks and to impair performance on difficult or novel tasks. So what I did to test it was take 20 students, and have them complete a simple maze and a complex maze in isolation, then take those 20 students and have them complete another simple maze and complex maze in front of an audience. The problem here is: I have [b]two independent variables[/b]. One- the presence of an audience, Two- the difficulty of the mazes. Now, I told the teacher what I was going to do and she approved it. I did my experiment, finished it, turned in my first draft and all... I got back my first draft and I got an A. My teacher said it was a very good paper, and that I was only missing a few points. So I felt pretty good about it. Now my final draft is due in 2 days, I went through the criteria to check that I have everything, and I saw that [b]we cannot have more than one independent variable[/b]. My question is... What do I do?????????? Why on earth did my teacher confirm it so many times if its not allowed?
Any suggestions?

Last thing: does anyone know of a good website that explains the T test?

Thank you![/quote]

Oh and look at the syllabus, u dont use a t Test!!
You do not get any marks for using it and it is irrelevant.

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Word Count[/b]
I hope it is the same at your school as it is at mine...
Tables and graphs are not included in your word count, and neither are footnotes. Materials and your procedure [i]are[/i] a part of your word count. Appendices are not a part of the word count. You should also know that your abstract is not a part of your word count. In short:
Tables: No.
Graphs: No.
Footnotes: No.
Materials: Yes.
Procedure: Yes.
Appendices: No.
Abstract: No.

[b]Title Page[/b]
I don't know what your teacher asked you to have on it, but for ours we had to include our IB session number [i]and[/i] the date of when we submitted it.

Wish I had seen this earlier. My teacher requested that I have two independent variables... but I saw that on the syllabus too and was confused. I wish I could help you there. :[

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='lisalisa313' post='32762' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:09 PM']What is a proper title? Does: The effects of Incentives on performance work as a title?[/quote]

I think so!

[quote name='Philippe Arni' post='29962' date='Dec 9 2008, 07:06 AM']hi,
doesnt your teacher help you with these kind of details??? Anyways go to [url="http://www.cranepsych.com/Psych/index.html"]http://www.cranepsych.com/Psych/index.html[/url] it
answers all your basic questions.... Cranepsych is the key to success in Psychology.

Good Luck[/quote]

Thanks a lot! That really helped.

And my teacher said I HAD to have the t-test.. Gah, she's not very good it seems.

Thanks again!

[quote name='Alouette' post='31067' date='Dec 26 2008, 05:57 PM'][b]Word Count[/b]
I hope it is the same at your school as it is at mine...
Tables and graphs are not included in your word count, and neither are footnotes. Materials and your procedure [i]are[/i] a part of your word count. Appendices are not a part of the word count. You should also know that your abstract is not a part of your word count. In short:
Tables: No.
Graphs: No.
Footnotes: No.
Materials: Yes.
Procedure: Yes.
Appendices: No.
Abstract: No.

[b]Title Page[/b]
I don't know what your teacher asked you to have on it, but for ours we had to include our IB session number [i]and[/i] the date of when we submitted it.

Wish I had seen this earlier. My teacher requested that I have two independent variables... but I saw that on the syllabus too and was confused. I wish I could help you there. :[[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the reply!
About the two independent variables, I decided to stick to it. My teacher is the one checking the IA anyway and hopefully mine won't be the one to be sent for additional checking.
Hope yours worked out too.