Do students who get low IB Scores still get into university?

Sadie

4 hours ago, ibpickles said:

Of course you are! Just don't expect to be admitted to a very good university, or a competitive course like medicine or the like.  The only time you're actually ineligible is when you fail school.

Got a friend who really struggled with Maths Studies & Bio + Chemistry SL still going to medicine, so there's really no impossible circumstance!

Also have friends with mid 20s IB scores going into top Australian unis e.g. Uni Melbourne & UNSW.

Edited by IB`NOT`ez

59 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

Got a friend who really struggled with Maths Studies & Bio + Chemistry SL still going to medicine, so there's really no impossible circumstance!

Also have friends with mid 20s IB scores going into top Australian unis e.g. Uni Melbourne & UNSW.

Wow, really? Lol, my sister wants to do medicine and she talked to the career counselor about it, and she says it is really quite hard to get in, she needs to work hard if she doesn't want to waste a few extra years of her life for medicine. Did your friend go directly into medicine or did she take a separate undergraduate first? Of course, by top universities I meant universities like Cardiff of LSE. I'm sorry if I sounded ignorant :? I was basing this off what my career counselor said.

I got below 24 in my DP Year 1 but I am working hard for my december exams where I still have a chance to submit my scores.I am from India and want to go to USA for my undergraduate.Will I be able to go to a good university?

On 8/25/2017 at 9:36 PM, 007 said:

I got below 24 in my DP Year 1 but I am working hard for my december exams where I still have a chance to submit my scores.I am from India and want to go to USA for my undergraduate.Will I be able to go to a good university?

Hi 007!

If you are an International student, getting into good American colleges without high grades will be a little difficult! However, I cannot really say much as different universities have their own acceptance rates. Try to work harder as academics is extremely important. Build up other things as well such as SAT, extracurriculars, etc.

I hope I was helpful! Wishing you the best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 8:09 PM, Irma Calista said:

Hi 007!

If you are an International student, getting into good American colleges without high grades will be a little difficult! However, I cannot really say much as different universities have their own acceptance rates. Try to work harder as academics is extremely important. Build up other things as well such as SAT, extracurriculars, etc.

I hope I was helpful! Wishing you the best of luck!

That is true, but America doesn't usually demand like a 40, they do encourage a high result for admission, but they also will consider a lower IB score if you get a high score on the SAT/ACT and TOEFL/IELTS, and have a wide variety of extracurriculars, and if your application (especially if an essay is required) is of high quality. You could also take a look at Canada, universities such as UBC (A top 30-20 in a lot of rankings) only require 24-30 points for admission, they are also of high quality (Quite a majority, no major difference in most of them, the US is more different, quality varies there) :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I have got friends who barely passed the IB and still got into a university. It depends on a lot of things. Some universities give out unconditional offers, some don't. I even have friends who are doing a bachelor degree at the open university (An online university).

But try to do your best and get a good score. :)