Scuba diving and math?

utbd

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to think about an IA topic for math sl, and my teacher told us to pick something we are "passionate" about. So I decided scuba diving would be a good topic, as I have done it for a couple of years now and I can imagine it has some math that can be explored. 

What would be some standard level mathematics to explore for scuba diving?

I'm also considering doing my maths IA in the area of scuba diving. You could explore something about the dive tables or something about gas laws as that is important when you're diving. Other topics you could explore are air consumption or buoyancy. 

Well, scuba diving isn't just math, there is so much physics involved as well like Archimedes's force, palming forces etc. You can make some formulas for lets say decompression (exponential decay) when the diver begins to swim upwards at a fast rate or whatever you come up with. Do some research and see what you can write about, if it seems to difficult change topics. if you do plan to change try going for Calculus. In my opinion I think it is very interesting and enjoyable to write about. 

• Like 1