I've decided to base my EE on Language and literature. The two books I've picked is The Catcher in the Rye and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. However, I am having a difficult time forming and EE question. My EE advisor suggested basing my EE on how The perks of being a Wallflower is a modern version of The catcher in the Rye, but we are afraid that the EE will go off the Lang and lit area and.focus more on culture. 

Please do give your thoughts on this idea and/or suggest a better question.

Your help is very much appreciated,

Hi!

I didn't write my essay in English L/L but my advice would be to go for it (if you feel "inspired" by the research question) and when you do talk about culture (which might very well be an important part of your essay), make sure to refer back to the novel and give examples for each point that you make. 

• Like 1

I don't think your teacher's idea is very helpful. Or will lead to a good EE topic. You have to be much more precise. If I were you, I'd focus on a motif, or symbol or some other obviously literary aspect. Choose something that interests you. You have to write 4000 words, after all, so you better be pretty keen on what you do. That's all I can suggest just now. Good luck!

Edited by voh26
  • Like 1

@Mufasajo You should start by choosing which category of Group 1 EE to do. 

Tq3Uq4W.jpg

Cat 1 appears to the best description: a literary comparison between the two works. Obviously the teacher cannot prescribe a specific EE topic so a comparison between The Catcher in the Rye and The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a very good starting point. 

Focusing on culture is also a bad idea, as it's no longer a Group 1 EE. Also you should not use 2 literary texts for and Group 3 EE. Ultimately the EE is not a creative writing piece but an assessment that has to be strictly abiding by standards of a particular subject. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mufasajo said:

@voh26,

thanks for the reply. But instead of basing that idea on an English extended essay, my teacher suggested that I base it on individuals and societies and include a little bit of english in the essay. What do you think?

Your teacher's recommendations are really odd. 

If you follow his/her advice, your EE will not correspond to any of the subjects or categories (or requirements, for that matter) if you do one thing and a little of another. It doesn't work that way.  KW0573 is more precise about this and shows you the appropriate categories for English A. 

@kw0573 @voh26,

Thanks once again for the advice. My teacher has advised me to base my EE on individuals and societies as it focuses more on the culture. what do you think?

However, he told me to connect my question to social and cultural anthropology (the study of human societies and cultures and their development) in terms of how accepting we are becoming as a society of sex and drug use in popular culture, he said I'll be using both Individuals and Society (for social/cultural anthropology) and Language and Literature.

He sent these links:

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/extendedessay/apps/dpapp/guide.html?doc=d_0_eeyyy_gui_1602_1_e&part=10&chapter=10&section=2

https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/extendedessay/apps/dpapp/guide.html?doc=d_0_eeyyy_gui_1602_1_e&part=10&chapter=10&section=3

Your help is very much appreciated! thanks for taking your time in helping me out!

You cannot submit an EE under both disciplines, unless you write a separate EE for both, whcih I doubt you want to do. They are separate disciplines and the EE has rather different requirement for each. You cannot simply blend them together (at least not if you want to do well in your EE.)

Can you use literature for an EE in sociological anthropological? Literature is not an obvious source of data for Social Studies. The methodology is entirely different than for EngLangLit. What sociological/anthropological approaches and tools, for instance, are you going to apply to literary texts? I think there is some befuddled thinking going on here. :o

That's all I have to say, anyway.

Edited by Blackcurrant

I agree completely with you,

however if I were to base my EE on English Lang&Lit, what would my question be? My first question apparently didn't make any sense. I'm so lost and worried everything will become last minute work and I don't do well like that. 

In all honesty, I'd much prefer to base my EE on Lang&Lit, I've still been trying to find a question suitable for this area of subject but just can't find one. 

Edited by Mufasajo

6 hours ago, voh26 said:

What question r u referring to? The one for Individuals and Societies, or another one? 

Why are you keep saying individuals and societies? That's not a Diploma Subject. That's like say you are doing a "science" EE. You have to be more specific.