*Help Needed!* EE in ITGS - Cloud Computing/Social Media

Lusted

So far I've narrowed my topic down to something in the area of how cloud computing has helped businesses establish better customer relations, but I also have another topic similar to this and I don't know if its feasible or not. I’m having a hard time thinking of a research question, so would something like “To investigate how cloud computing can help businesses in establishing better customer relations.” be a decent question or does it need to be more refined? Also, another topic that’s similar to this which I’m having a hard time deciding which I want to do is the idea of social media helping businesses increase visibility or helping with customer relations. My problem is 1. I’m not sure if I can get enough primary research done by my draft due date and 2. I’m not sure how specific I have to be with my research questions, as I’m concerned with whether or not I need to add specific locations (Ontario, Canada for where I reside and can perform primary research) or specify which type of businesses can be affected (Food? Service?) Thanks in advance :D

Edited by Lusted

Finally an ITGS EE, yay!

First of all, "to investigate" is not really a question, and so not that suitable as a RQ. ITGS EEs usually use TWE or How to begin their questions, and in your case I think TWE would work better because it allows you to do some analysis and come to a reasoned conclusion.

One way or another, you either need to find very legit data or conduct your own surveys, as ITGS EEs thrive on primary research (I did 2 interviews). Notice how you said "draft due date". I'm sure that's flexible enough for you to do good research and submit a good paper. 

Specifying area/region and a type of business can make your paper easier OR harder to write, and add holistic value to your paper as well as some personal engagement, although it's hard to say if it will definitively make your paper "better" or "worse". However, specifying region and/or business would mean that you would have to do specific kinds of research, which could be easy or hard, depending on your situation.

Ahhh thanks for rather fast reply :nicole: You brought up some really good points about the RQ I guess I needed to rephrase that a bit better... And I think going towards how social media affects customer relations is better as I feel like conducting primary research would be a bit easier as there are a lot of businesses in the area that have a facebook page for example. Would something like "To what extent does social media play a role in improving(or affecting) customer relationships in (food) businesses in (Canada/Ontario?)" Be too broad for my EE? 

Ooook now I don't think I'm qualified to advise you, because I know nothing about this subject.

I think it may be *slightly* better to narrow down industry and area, it makes it easier for you to write a good paper. However, for your 4000 words to have dimension and your paper to be good to read, I think you should narrow down the question but broaden your paper by exploring it form different aspects, if that makes sense. 

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt because I don't know too much about the subject. Good luck!

Right another problem I think I've come across is the question of whether or not my topic has to have any inherent shortcomings or clear ethical/social issues I can talk about? I ask because right now the way my RQ is going I want to basically explain the benefits of social media with regards to its usage in businesses, and trying to think of any serious(negative) issues with it is sort of difficult.