Biology or Chemistry for studying medicine?

Asdaph

After plenty of research it was very clear that, in order to get accepted in medical schools, I should choose chemistry and biology for the IB (preferably both in HL). That was the plan, but then we were told that they can only offer chemistry in SL, and that we can only choose either biology or chemistry. I've contacted the IB coordinator a few times and he's currently looking into the possibility of allowing me to get both sciences (this is hard because of the classes schedule), but made no promises. So now I want to be prepared in case the answer is no and I'm forced to choose between either chemistry (only SL) or biology (SL or HL).

Chemistry SL or Biology SL/HL ?

Weird that you can't do Chemistry HL, as most teachers with a chemistry degree should still be capable of teaching the content. With that said, I know that universities in HK require only Chemistry (albeit at HL), while biology is recommended, but not necessary. Check with the universities you're planning on applying to, and look at the entry requirements. 

It depends on where you want to go to university and whether Chemistry is required at all. I believe most places in the UK are no longer an option given that Chemistry HL is usually needed. In the USA, it shouldn't make much of a difference because Medicine is mostly a postgraduate degree. In Australia it varies but Chemistry is usually recommended for medical degrees if it is not required. So, as SC2Player said, see what your unis say!

Personally, I believe it's because Biology is largely a matter of memorisation and you will learn it whenever. Chemistry is more like in Maths (relatively speaking) in that you need to layer knowledge and it's much harder to jump into more difficult concepts without that precursor knowledge. Of course, that's just my take on it. On the other hand, I did enjoy Biology HL a lot more than Chem HL even if there was more content. This will also depend on your other subjects and if you'd rather have three other subjects at HL instead of Bio HL!

Edited by Guest

If you are dying to do medicine and is the thing you want the most in your life and I emphasize you are dying to do medicine there may be a solution but this is a long shot. Go for Biology HL, and see if you're allowed to do chemistry HL with an online teacher. It will be difficult, but you are as good as your resources so yeah, good luck and always if it seems unreasonable to do medicine I would also recommend that you try to move on from medicine given your unfortunate situation, and try to accept that it's not meant to be although I encourage you to not give up and find a way to do both Bio and Chem. All the best!

To add to what I have said above, if you are allowed to pay for an online teacher and do Chemistry HL with an online teacher and won't be able to do Biology at HL, then do Physics HL as it is also possible for you to get into medicine with Chem HL and Physics HL. If you don't want Physics HL, Maths HL if you are capable. All the best once again!