I want to do my EE on Film, but does my supervisor have to be teaching film?

Sarah K

My school does not offer film (I don't take the course), but I am not interested in any other subject other than film. I asked my Extended Essay teacher if I could do my EE on a subject I am not taking, but she said most likely not because: 1) I won't have prior knowledge on it (which is true, but during my free time I plan on studying as much as I can about this) and 2) there might not be a supervisor fit for me. However, there is an English teacher who has a degree in film. So what I am wondering is is it possible for him to be my supervisor? Even though he teaches English and not film?

1. This is a very good point from the coordinator and most people would say same. It is always better to present the EE in a subject that you can learn at school. Some schools are not flexible with this at all and will forbid you to do your EE in a subject not taught at that school. Other schools are more open and let the student do whatever they want, making them aware that it's at their own risk.
  2. Yes, your English teacher could be your supervisor, especially if he has a degree in film. Keep in mind that he has to agree with, though. Not only your EE teacher

As long as you are passionate enough about the subject, and you are willing to work hard (and work a lot during the first year), then it should be okay.

My personal advice would be to work a lot during the first year, and you'll hear this plenty of times. In your case this is even more important:

1. You need to learn new material in you personal time (time which you won't have a lot of in the second year)
  2. In case it doesn't work out the way you want, the earlier the start, the more margin you'll have to be able to restart in a different subject if it's really necessary.

Good luck.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Martijn.S said:
  1. This is a very good point from the coordinator and most people would say same. It is always better to present the EE in a subject that you can learn at school. Some schools are not flexible with this at all and will forbid you to do your EE in a subject not taught at that school. Other schools are more open and let the student do whatever they want, making them aware that it's at their own risk.
  2. Yes, your English teacher could be your supervisor, especially if he has a degree in film. Keep in mind that he has to agree with, though. Not only your EE teacher

As long as you are passionate enough about the subject, and you are willing to work hard (and work a lot during the first year), then it should be okay.

My personal advice would be to work a lot during the first year, and you'll hear this plenty of times. In your case this is even more important:

1. You need to learn new material in you personal time (time which you won't have a lot of in the second year)
  2. In case it doesn't work out the way you want, the earlier the start, the more margin you'll have to be able to restart in a different subject if it's really necessary.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response. The coordinator mentioned that if we really struggle with finding a subject that interests us then the only thing left to do is to do our EE on a subject we're not taking at school. At the moment I am trying to see if eventually I will become interested in a class I am taking, but I just wanted to know if it was possible for the English teacher to be my supervisor on film. Again, thank you for answering!

• Like 1