To get a 7 in German B SL - is the Deutsch im Einsatz book useful?

First, how does one achieve fluency in German? We are almost at the end of the first year of the IBDP and most people in the class do not feel confident about any of the final exams or internal assessments. I do feel somewhat confident and this lack of general confidence is in no way a reflection of our teacher, who is very dedicated and knowledgeable about German. It's just that most people don't have a strong background in the language (there are no fluent people in the class) and we didn't start the course with a good understanding of the grammar or a lot of experience in speaking German.

I know people will say to use platforms like Memrise or Duolingo but is there another way?

Second, we don't use the Deutsch im Einsatz textbook. I just found out about it. Should I buy it? There doesn't seem to be a German B Oxford study guide.

For people who did get 7s in German B SL, how did you do it? Apparently you need 95% in German to get a 7 which is high in comparison to other subjects.

Edited by ToThinkIsToLive

I'm taking French B myself, but I think I could be of some help to you.

Do you have any Goethe Zertifikat centres near you? They'd be pretty efficient at helping you learn German(I'm going to Alliance Francaise classes myself). If not, you can try out online FSI German courses too! I was doing them for fun in the holidays and by the second class itself, I was able to make sentences in German(It has about 27 large lessons). It may feel boring and mundane but the results are visible. You can start at a later level in it.

Watch movies, listen to songs, translate English songs to German, turn everything around you in German! I've turned my computer's language to French too! As for the book, it's pretty good! Classes are so fun when we use the book.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely recommend diving into some addictive German entertainment sources, such as Downfall parodies. Of course, the subtitles are completely off (and that's the whole point), but while I was watching it for 2 months straight (procrastination at its best) I definitely picked up a lot of German phrases and listening to German basically all day really helps you. Memes and internet can be pretty useful in learning languages because ultimately it's all about the culture. I don't even take German but I can speak a bit now lol thanks to those parodies :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17.9.2017 at 0:02 PM, chrisss said:

I definitely recommend diving into some addictive German entertainment sources, such as Downfall parodies. Of course, the subtitles are completely off (and that's the whole point), but while I was watching it for 2 months straight (procrastination at its best) I definitely picked up a lot of German phrases and listening to German basically all day really helps you. Memes and internet can be pretty useful in learning languages because ultimately it's all about the culture. I don't even take German but I can speak a bit now lol thanks to those parodies :P

I have watched those parodies too. To be honest, I mostly watch YouTube for MSJChem and Alex Lee’s IB Biology channel. The parodies are useful in their way (and appear to be an IB rite of passage). They help to acquire vocabulary and when one watches it for two months, as you have, they will pick up the grammatical structures. Danke.

• Like 1

On 19.9.2017 at 10:38 PM, SamirAliyev said:

I personally took a 2-month German course in Summer and I feel like now I have enough fluency to get good grades in German. You can start watching movies in German but that won't help as much as when you go to German course.

I think you are right. The key to fluency is to have 1-and-1 contact with a teacher. I’ll try and find a course. Thanks.