TOK Presentation about Specific Area of Knowledge

ABKor752

Hello all!

So I am beginning my TOK Presentation and I am a bit confused with what to do with my question. My RLS is the Top-Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point and my personal experience in 8th grade riding it. Although a parent somehow persuaded me to get on the ride, I was extremely fearful to the point that I would not look or talk to anyone. Logically, I could have used inductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that I would not get hurt on this ride: no one had ever fallen off, the worst accident was metal flying into a few people's faces which happened only once, and other than that, the most frequent accident was people rolling backwards on the ride. Additionally, I could have had faith in the assumption that the physics of the ride had been tested thoroughly, and thus I was protected. However, I experienced a lack of faith in this reasoning and thus began to fear for my life. After the ride, however, I had so much fun that I realized there was nothing to worry about. A lack of faith had brought me to an incorrect conclusion that I would somehow get hurt.

With acrophobia being an extremely common fear among individuals in the world, it seems there is a disconnect in our logic of the safety of rides versus how far we believe in this logic. Without faith, then, this reasoning does not exist, and we are brought to different conclusions. Thus, my knowledge question is this:

"To what extent do we need faith to develop our reasoning in the natural sciences?"

My teacher said that this was an okay question, but I am still confused on how to go about a question which focuses on a specific area of knowledge. I do not want this presentation to end up being a scientific presentation on what physics or chemistry or biology is and the details of the science, or what not. I do not have clear perspectives yet, but my idea for the first one is that "Without faith, our reasoning is distorted and we are brought to incorrect conclusions." How do I analyze a knowledge question on a specific area of knowledge without it getting too narrow?

Thank you for all your help!