Theater Arts SL?

Mrs.Mars

Hello everyone!

I want to study Law either in the UK or Germany. I have chosen the following subjects:

HL: Biology, History, English

SL: Greek, Math and I'm torn between B&M, Econ and Theater Arts.

I want to avoid using math as much as possible (I'm afraid of Econ for that reason). 

What exactly do you do at Theater Arts SL? Is it time consuming? Do you think it has helped you with public speaking skills?

Thank you in advance!

Greetings, I have been asking and looking around and found a few sites to help you out in figuring out what exactly Theater SL is. http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/the-arts/theatre/ this first link is by the IB themselfs, giving you the outline of what you will need to do. I have also found someone who asked this question on here in May 2015. Note somethings may have changed from 2015 nut this is what she had to say: 

My grade was the first to experience the new drama course. There is a really big emphasis on written work. As in any other IB subject, you have to pay attention to the criteria and attempt to satisfy the requirements in order to get a good grade. I have taken SL, and to be perfectly honest, it can be as difficult as any of your other subjects. Theatre arts might have a reputation for being an 'easy' class, but if you want to get a 7, then you will have to work hard.

Pay attention in class, a lot of the time, it helps if you pick up on the IB theatre terminology. The new course is focused on being both a director and a performer. You will have to devise a piece of theatre in a group, as well as direct a piece of theatre by yourself in the standard course. Each drama 'project' is accompanied by a piece of written work. For example, next thursday is our deadline for the collaborative project. We have to perform a 10-15 piece of theatre which will be recorded and sent off to the IB. Additionally, we have to submit a 15 page report/essay on the different stages of the project. In this essay we have to analyse our theatre influences, how we worked, what inspired us etc.

In order to get a good grade make sure that you keep a 'theatre journal', this can be a set of reflections, essays, photos etc that reflect your thought processes. Pay attention in class, and read plays. If you can, go to see different plays. Learn about the different types of theatre as well. Don't get stuck in the traditional Stanislavsky stuff. Instead, explore things like physical theatre, forum theatre, theatre of the absurd etc. Theatre arts can be a really interesting class, but it is important to try as hard as you would in a subject like maths or english.

If you need any advice, please PM me. I would be happy to help.

This is by eternallyapril if you have any questions for her. 

This last website gives you a outline as well but does more in depth in what you are expected to do. http://wsaibtheatre.org/IB-Theatre-Course-Outline.php  Hope this helps in some way 

Edited by Wyatt Berckenhoff
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wyatt Berckenhoff said:

Greetings, I have been asking and looking around and found a few sites to help you out in figuring out what exactly Theater SL is. http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/curriculum/the-arts/theatre/ this first link is by the IB themselfs, giving you the outline of what you will need to do. I have also found someone who asked this question on here in May 2015. Note somethings may have changed from 2015 nut this is what she had to say: 

My grade was the first to experience the new drama course. There is a really big emphasis on written work. As in any other IB subject, you have to pay attention to the criteria and attempt to satisfy the requirements in order to get a good grade. I have taken SL, and to be perfectly honest, it can be as difficult as any of your other subjects. Theatre arts might have a reputation for being an 'easy' class, but if you want to get a 7, then you will have to work hard.

Pay attention in class, a lot of the time, it helps if you pick up on the IB theatre terminology. The new course is focused on being both a director and a performer. You will have to devise a piece of theatre in a group, as well as direct a piece of theatre by yourself in the standard course. Each drama 'project' is accompanied by a piece of written work. For example, next thursday is our deadline for the collaborative project. We have to perform a 10-15 piece of theatre which will be recorded and sent off to the IB. Additionally, we have to submit a 15 page report/essay on the different stages of the project. In this essay we have to analyse our theatre influences, how we worked, what inspired us etc.

In order to get a good grade make sure that you keep a 'theatre journal', this can be a set of reflections, essays, photos etc that reflect your thought processes. Pay attention in class, and read plays. If you can, go to see different plays. Learn about the different types of theatre as well. Don't get stuck in the traditional Stanislavsky stuff. Instead, explore things like physical theatre, forum theatre, theatre of the absurd etc. Theatre arts can be a really interesting class, but it is important to try as hard as you would in a subject like maths or english.

If you need any advice, please PM me. I would be happy to help.

This is by eternallyapril if you have any questions for her. 

This last website gives you a outline as well but does more in depth in what you are expected to do. http://wsaibtheatre.org/IB-Theatre-Course-Outline.php  Hope this helps in some way 

Thank you so much! Such a detailed, informative and helpful answer! Thank you again:)