Type I The segments of a polygon (help)

hk213

ok bascially this has an equilateral triangle ABC and is drawn and each segment divides the sidin the raio of 1:2 creating another equilateral triangl inside the big triangle..

Has anyone done this portfolio?????

Plz give suggestions on how to approach this...

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have been given the assignment of finding out different relationships of segments in triangles and squares. I was just wondering if anyone else has been given this title to work on? How are you coping?

Thanks in advance.

I did it. It was kind of easy, using trigonometry and similarities. The most "difficult" question is the second one, because you have to use other methods (actually, the method used for this question is also working for the first one, but it's difficult to find it). The last question is not very difficult if you have done the other questions.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I was assigned the HL Type I portfolio Segments of a Polygon. I have started it, but I cannot figure it out at all. I have created triangles with four or five different side ratios (step 1b). But now I am asked to "conjecture a relationship between the ratios of the sides and the ratio of the areas of the triangles." My question is when they say "ratios of the sides," do they mean the 1:n ratio I used to create the smaller equilateral triangle, or do they mean the ratio between the sides of the large triangle (ABC) and the sides of the smaller triangle (DEF)? If it is the latter, it appears to be obvious because they are similar triangles. If it is the former, I have no idea and I would like any help that can be given.

Thanks in advance

Peter

• 1 month later...

My question is when they say "ratios of the sides," do they mean the 1:n ratio I used to create the smaller equilateral triangle, or do they mean the ratio between the sides of the large triangle (ABC) and the sides of the smaller triangle (DEF)? If it is the latter, it appears to be obvious because they are similar triangles. If it is the former, I have no idea and I would like any help that can be given.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I asked my teacher about this and he couldn't even give me a good answer. He just said play around with everything and whatever seems to make more sense, go for that one. I echo FlyByNight's sentiments completely as it does seem too easy if it is the former, and I would really be expecting more from a HL portfolio question.

Please, would anyone like to enlighten us on this?

• 4 months later...

hey Im doing this too for my holiday homework. its not gonna be formally assessed by the IB ppl, but my tcher is gonna mark it. I got the conjecture and proved it already, but my teacher said I need to find the formula for the length of the side of the inner triangle to prove it once more time because at first I used approximation for the values of the ratios. can anybody help me to find the formula for the length of the side of the inner triangle? I have found a formula using sine but that aint accurate enough :)

hey Im doing this too for my holiday homework. its not gonna be formally assessed by the IB ppl, but my tcher is gonna mark it. I got the conjecture and proved it already, but my teacher said I need to find the formula for the length of the side of the inner triangle to prove it once more time because at first I used approximation for the values of the ratios. can anybody help me to find the formula for the length of the side of the inner triangle? I have found a formula using sine but that aint accurate enough :)

• 4 weeks later...