Unique Extracurricular vs. 4 HLs

Aquilina

Um...so the problem is below: I am doing a project called The Periodic Graphics of Elements which basically use graphic design/illustration to visualise and introduce chemical elements. Now I have 30 graphics finished out of 118, and when I hit 50, I am planning to submit the project as a supplementary material for universities along with my art portfolio. (You guys can look at those graphics at my program Alchemy:  

For that project I have received several good recognition, publication, awards and a handful of followers. My teachers say that this is a 'masterpiece' project and I should carry it on. Specifically, my chem teacher mentioned that people will love my passion and hardwork and no one cares about 4 HLs (I have heard about some people say that 4 HLs could show dedication and hard work as well to the adcoms). 

So what do you guys think? I choose to keep on my project but I would also like to hear you guys opinions :) Do you guys think unique extracurriculars or dedication towards an extra subject is more important?

Edited by Aquilina

Definitely keep going with your project. 

Your chem teacher is right, nobody really cares about 4 HLs. Since both choices shows your "hard work", just choose the one that you enjoy better, and I'm pretty sure you'd choose the project :P

Plus, it's really cool. It's something you could brag about. Meanwhile, bragging about 4 HLs would make you sound arrogant.

Edited by Acamar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Acamar said:

Your chem teacher is right, nobody really cares about 4 HLs. Since both choices shows your "hard work", just choose the one that you enjoy better, and I'm pretty sure you'd choose the project :P

Plus, it's really cool. It's something you could brag about. Meanwhile, bragging about 4 HLs would make you sound arrogant.

There are two types of applicants--the ECs focused or the academic star, and I am the ECs focused. I have know people who do not have outstanding ECs but extremely good GPA. In this case, they would have an advantage of choosing 4HLs. Actually, I have also heard from an university counsellor who claimed that the project might be superficial and does not show a good academic background of me. So how do adcoms view the importance between a good project and 4 HLs? Or they base the admission standard on whether the applicant is a ECs focused type or an academic type

BTW. I would prefer the applicant with good GPA+good test scores+unique experience+outstanding ECs over perfect scores+4HLs+mediocre ECs+lack of passion. It's just my personal opinion. 

Edited by Aquilina

It sounds like you're doing a very interesting and worth-while project. If I were you, I'd drop one of the HLs if it would affect your performance too much. Personally, I dropped one of my HLs couple of weeks ago despite doing very well in it  purely because I knew I would be able to focus on my extracurriculars and have more time to 'breathe'. 

8 hours ago, mac117 said:

It sounds like you're doing a very interesting and worth-while project. If I were you, I'd drop one of the HLs if it would affect your performance too much. Personally, I dropped one of my HLs couple of weeks ago despite doing very well in it  purely because I knew I would be able to focus on my extracurriculars and have more time to 'breathe'. 

Thanks for the advice! However, I do not have 4 HLs. I was just wondering how would adcoms see a good project in comparison to 4 HLs. 

Edited by Aquilina

I think honestly you should just stay with this project, it's an amazing work and will be great especially for universities, they like to see people doing things that are educational/academic outside of grades and subjects, and 4 HLs generally don't matter as much unless they're all absolutely necessary to what you wanna do in university or they're in the requirements section of your planned course . (If you're applying to Canada/USA, they'll care more about extracurriculars, SATs, than just your academics, which would be the case for the U.K) Hope this helps :D 

6 hours ago, BernOnFire said:

I think honestly you should just stay with this project, it's an amazing work and will be great especially for universities, they like to see people doing things that are educational/academic outside of grades and subjects, and 4 HLs generally don't matter as much unless they're all absolutely necessary to what you wanna do in university or they're in the requirements section of your planned course . (If you're applying to Canada/USA, they'll care more about extracurriculars, SATs, than just your academics, which would be the case for the U.K) Hope this helps :D 

Applying only to the US (mainly to top 20s) for an academics/art+design dual degree (e.g. Brown-RISD-Dual Degree, CMU BSA, BU CAS/CFA). My major choices are chemistry and graphic design or industrial design. These academics/art dual degrees are set up to cultivate future professional designers that could apply design thinking and multidisciplinary knowledge. I do have okey SAT (720 R, 780 M) and okey cumulative GPA (~3.8/4) for admission Thus, ECs and art portfolio would outweigh 4 HLs in my case. 

Edited by Aquilina

1 hour ago, Aquilina said:

Applying only to the US (mainly to top 20s) for an academics/art+design dual degree (e.g. Brown-RISD-Dual Degree, CMU BSA, BU CAS/CFA). My major choices are chemistry and graphic design or industrial design. These academics/art dual degrees are set up to cultivate future professional designers that could apply design thinking and multidisciplinary knowledge. I do have okey SAT (720 R, 780 M) and okey cumulative GPA (~3.8/4) for admission Thus, ECs and art portfolio would outweigh 4 HLs in my case. 

Just realized we're literally almost the same university course except the Chemistry part (I'm going for International Relations/ Global Development / International Business or something of that sort, but definitely with Art & Design as a 2nd major or a minor, Graphic Design!)  :P 

9 hours ago, BernOnFire said:

Just realized we're literally almost the same university course except the Chemistry part (I'm going for International Relations/ Global Development / International Business or something of that sort, but definitely with Art & Design as a 2nd major or a minor, Graphic Design!)  :P 

Where do you intend to apply to?

6 hours ago, BernOnFire said:

Maybe, but it doesn't offer the other major or program I want to take, not sure at the moment. :o 

I would suggest you look into Waterloo and SFU. They are world-renowned schools and probably have great art programs as well. (BTW. if you have time, you can check U Waterloo's chem site. I got a publication from their magazine for the Periodic Table Graphics project, and my of my graphics was on their Top 10s :D)

BTW. Did you choose any art/design related course for the diploma programme? I am currently doing design tech as one of my HLs. 

2 hours ago, Aquilina said:

I would suggest you look into Waterloo and SFU. They are world-renowned schools and probably have great art programs as well. (BTW. if you have time, you can check U Waterloo's chem site. I got a publication from their magazine for the Periodic Table Graphics project, and my of my graphics was on their Top 10s :D)

BTW. Did you choose any art/design related course for the diploma programme? I am currently doing design tech as one of my HLs. 

I'm doing Visual Arts HL, and maybe History or Economics HL, Economics may be a better fit as it fits into Marketing, which is also an aspect of Design. :) 

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2017 at 5:26 PM, Acamar said:

Definitely keep going with your project. 

I got rejected to my top choice (not even a deferral). Those with 4 HLs and less activities got deferred.