Unique Extracurricular vs. 4 HLs

Um...so the problem is below: I am doing a project called The Periodic Graphics of Elements which basically use graphic design/illustration to visualise and introduce chemical elements. Now I have 30 graphics finished out of 118, and when I hit 50, I am planning to submit the project as a supplementary material for universities along with my art portfolio. (You guys can look at those graphics at my program Alchemy:  

For that project I have received several good recognition, publication, awards and a handful of followers. My teachers say that this is a 'masterpiece' project and I should carry it on. Specifically, my chem teacher mentioned that people will love my passion and hardwork and no one cares about 4 HLs (I have heard about some people say that 4 HLs could show dedication and hard work as well to the adcoms). 

So what do you guys think? I choose to keep on my project but I would also like to hear you guys opinions :) Do you guys think unique extracurriculars or dedication towards an extra subject is more important?

Edited by Aquilina
  • Like 1

Definitely keep going with your project. 

Your chem teacher is right, nobody really cares about 4 HLs. Since both choices shows your "hard work", just choose the one that you enjoy better, and I'm pretty sure you'd choose the project :P

Plus, it's really cool. It's something you could brag about. Meanwhile, bragging about 4 HLs would make you sound arrogant.

Edited by Acamar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Acamar said:

Your chem teacher is right, nobody really cares about 4 HLs. Since both choices shows your "hard work", just choose the one that you enjoy better, and I'm pretty sure you'd choose the project :P

Plus, it's really cool. It's something you could brag about. Meanwhile, bragging about 4 HLs would make you sound arrogant.

There are two types of applicants--the ECs focused or the academic star, and I am the ECs focused. I have know people who do not have outstanding ECs but extremely good GPA. In this case, they would have an advantage of choosing 4HLs. Actually, I have also heard from an university counsellor who claimed that the project might be superficial and does not show a good academic background of me. So how do adcoms view the importance between a good project and 4 HLs? Or they base the admission standard on whether the applicant is a ECs focused type or an academic type

BTW. I would prefer the applicant with good GPA+good test scores+unique experience+outstanding ECs over perfect scores+4HLs+mediocre ECs+lack of passion. It's just my personal opinion. 

Edited by Aquilina
  • Like 1

It sounds like you're doing a very interesting and worth-while project. If I were you, I'd drop one of the HLs if it would affect your performance too much. Personally, I dropped one of my HLs couple of weeks ago despite doing very well in it  purely because I knew I would be able to focus on my extracurriculars and have more time to 'breathe'. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mac117 said:

It sounds like you're doing a very interesting and worth-while project. If I were you, I'd drop one of the HLs if it would affect your performance too much. Personally, I dropped one of my HLs couple of weeks ago despite doing very well in it  purely because I knew I would be able to focus on my extracurriculars and have more time to 'breathe'. 

Thanks for the advice! However, I do not have 4 HLs. I was just wondering how would adcoms see a good project in comparison to 4 HLs. 

Edited by Aquilina

I think honestly you should just stay with this project, it's an amazing work and will be great especially for universities, they like to see people doing things that are educational/academic outside of grades and subjects, and 4 HLs generally don't matter as much unless they're all absolutely necessary to what you wanna do in university or they're in the requirements section of your planned course . (If you're applying to Canada/USA, they'll care more about extracurriculars, SATs, than just your academics, which would be the case for the U.K) Hope this helps :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BernOnFire said:

I think honestly you should just stay with this project, it's an amazing work and will be great especially for universities, they like to see people doing things that are educational/academic outside of grades and subjects, and 4 HLs generally don't matter as much unless they're all absolutely necessary to what you wanna do in university or they're in the requirements section of your planned course . (If you're applying to Canada/USA, they'll care more about extracurriculars, SATs, than just your academics, which would be the case for the U.K) Hope this helps :D 

Applying only to the US (mainly to top 20s) for an academics/art+design dual degree (e.g. Brown-RISD-Dual Degree, CMU BSA, BU CAS/CFA). My major choices are chemistry and graphic design or industrial design. These academics/art dual degrees are set up to cultivate future professional designers that could apply design thinking and multidisciplinary knowledge. I do have okey SAT (720 R, 780 M) and okey cumulative GPA (~3.8/4) for admission Thus, ECs and art portfolio would outweigh 4 HLs in my case. 

Edited by Aquilina
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquilina said:

Applying only to the US (mainly to top 20s) for an academics/art+design dual degree (e.g. Brown-RISD-Dual Degree, CMU BSA, BU CAS/CFA). My major choices are chemistry and graphic design or industrial design. These academics/art dual degrees are set up to cultivate future professional designers that could apply design thinking and multidisciplinary knowledge. I do have okey SAT (720 R, 780 M) and okey cumulative GPA (~3.8/4) for admission Thus, ECs and art portfolio would outweigh 4 HLs in my case. 

Just realized we're literally almost the same university course except the Chemistry part (I'm going for International Relations/ Global Development / International Business or something of that sort, but definitely with Art & Design as a 2nd major or a minor, Graphic Design!)  :P 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BernOnFire said:

Just realized we're literally almost the same university course except the Chemistry part (I'm going for International Relations/ Global Development / International Business or something of that sort, but definitely with Art & Design as a 2nd major or a minor, Graphic Design!)  :P 

Where do you intend to apply to?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BernOnFire said:

Maybe, but it doesn't offer the other major or program I want to take, not sure at the moment. :o 

I would suggest you look into Waterloo and SFU. They are world-renowned schools and probably have great art programs as well. (BTW. if you have time, you can check U Waterloo's chem site. I got a publication from their magazine for the Periodic Table Graphics project, and my of my graphics was on their Top 10s :D)

BTW. Did you choose any art/design related course for the diploma programme? I am currently doing design tech as one of my HLs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquilina said:

I would suggest you look into Waterloo and SFU. They are world-renowned schools and probably have great art programs as well. (BTW. if you have time, you can check U Waterloo's chem site. I got a publication from their magazine for the Periodic Table Graphics project, and my of my graphics was on their Top 10s :D)

BTW. Did you choose any art/design related course for the diploma programme? I am currently doing design tech as one of my HLs. 

I'm doing Visual Arts HL, and maybe History or Economics HL, Economics may be a better fit as it fits into Marketing, which is also an aspect of Design. :) 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 5:26 PM, Acamar said:

Definitely keep going with your project. 

I got rejected to my top choice (not even a deferral). Those with 4 HLs and less activities got deferred.