MATH IA (FINDING LENGTH OF A CURVED ROAD)

aminzairi

Hello i've decided to do my math ia on finding the length of a curved road

These are the steps i need to follow to find the length of the road :

Find the road on google maps 

Find a curve that fits the road but i don't know ho to fit the curve into the road by polynomial regression and matrices 

next i need to find the arc length through calculus

does anyone knows or ever did a math ia on the topic pls reply im in dire need of help idk what to do 

here's a link to a file explaining the steps to find polynomial regression :

http://web.iitd.ac.in/~pmvs/courses/mel705/curvefitting.pdf

i dont understand the part where the person mentioned about least squares approach regarding polynomial functions and how she derived the formula 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a good starting point for calculus on arc lengthhttp://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ArcLength.aspx

I'm assuming you're comparing polynomial regression to using calculus as methods to calculate length... but do you have a way to find out how long the road actually is? You need a reference to be able to compare those two methods.

Edited by tim9800
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2017 at 8:15 AM, aminzairi said:

Find a curve that fits the road but i don't know ho to fit the curve into the road by polynomial regression and matrices 

does anyone knows or ever did a math ia on the topic pls reply im in dire need of help idk what to do 

i dont understand the part where the person mentioned about least squares approach regarding polynomial functions and how she derived the formula 

Hi, 

I am currently writing my Math IA on a similar topic. I was hoping I could have a look at your IA for reference. Please let me know if you don't mind. 

Thanks 

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2018 at 1:48 PM, disha_r said:

Hi, 

I am currently writing my Math IA on a similar topic. I was hoping I could have a look at your IA for reference. Please let me know if you don't mind. 

Thanks 

Heyy,

i am also writing my math ia on this topic, do you think i can take a look at it for reference? Thank you

• 5 months later...
On 10/9/2018 at 7:48 AM, disha_r said:

Hi, 

Thanks 

Hi, I am also working on a similar topic, did you actually do the investagtion? If so, could i have a look at your IA for reference?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2017 at 12:15 AM, aminzairi said:

Hello! I'm a grade 12 IB student and I'm doing my IA on a similar topic, but our teachers are providing very little guidance and Covid has made it much harder. I was wondering whether you could send me your IA so I have an idea of what to do for it

On 6/21/2020 at 11:25 AM, LaraJean said:

Heyy,

i am also writing my math ia on this topic, do you think i can take a look at it for reference? Thank you

Hello! I'm a grade 12 IB student and I'm doing my IA on a similar topic, but our teachers are providing very little guidance and Covid has made it much harder. I was wondering whether you could send me your IA so I have an idea of what to do for it

On 12/15/2020 at 10:47 PM, Abrilu said:

Hi, I am also working on a similar topic, did you actually do the investagtion? If so, could i have a look at your IA for reference?

Thanks