I had two ideas in mind for my Math HL IA 

1) I was thinking about doing it on non Euclidian geometry. I couldn't find a specific topic but I was thinking about proving that the Earth is round using spherical geometry but I am not exactly sure how to do it.

2) I was thinking about the Mandelbrot set. Maybe showing how it was bound by 2, but that would be repeating something that has already been discovered and proved many times before. 

If you have any suggestions on how I might find a specific topic it would really be helpful.

Hello Bil

1. There is always a way to do everything in Math. I was exactly like you until I get into my topic and found out that there are so many things to write about.

2. That's what most of the people do. You don't have to discover something new. 

I would advise you to look into 200 ideas for math exploration:

http://www.dpcdsb.org/NR/rdonlyres/FE43C622-9FA0-4385-8E19-0C539513295E/133918/ListofPotentialTopicsfortheExploration1.pdf

Also, you can search sample IAs and do something similar to them.

Good Luck

• Like 2

Just now, SamirAliyev said:

Hello Bil

1. There is always a way to do everything in Math. I was exactly like you until I get into my topic and found out that there are so many things to write about.

2. That's what most of the people do. You don't have to discover something new. 

I would advise you to look into 200 ideas for math exploration:

http://www.dpcdsb.org/NR/rdonlyres/FE43C622-9FA0-4385-8E19-0C539513295E/133918/ListofPotentialTopicsfortheExploration1.pdf

Also, you can search sample IAs and do something similar to them.

Good Luck

Thanks! I'll look into it.

On 9/8/2017 at 2:25 AM, Bil said:

I had two ideas in mind for my Math HL IA 

1) I was thinking about doing it on non Euclidian geometry. I couldn't find a specific topic but I was thinking about proving that the Earth is round using spherical geometry but I am not exactly sure how to do it.

2) I was thinking about the Mandelbrot set. Maybe showing how it was bound by 2, but that would be repeating something that has already been discovered and proved many times before. 

If you have any suggestions on how I might find a specific topic it would really be helpful.

hi Bill, 

for 1) you can do something similar by learning spherical  coordinate system and then calculating the distance of a line in the flat space (Minkowski) in two different coordinate planes, thus showing that this line actually corresponds to a curve in the spherical coordinate. 

• Like 1