Turnitin.com

KewlKidV

OK, so the past few days I've had tons of questions that I wanted to post here but each time I realized that whatever I was writing about had to be turned in through turnitin.com

Does anybody use this program? My teachers use it for every single one of my classes and it just freaks me out that I might be plagarizing in any way. Last year one of my best buddies got expelled from school for copying about two lines and running it through turnitin.com

I know it sounds paranoid and obviously if I got help from here I'd change the words or make it a more original idea, I just get scared at the thought that I might get a 20% plagarized on my paper or something. Anybody feel the same way?

I know it sounds paranoid and obviously if I got help from here I'd change the words or make it a more original idea, I just get scared at the thought that I might get a 20% plagarized on my paper or something. Anybody feel the same way?

How long is your paper exactly? 200 words? Either your paper is extremely short or you're copying too much from books, forums, and the like.

a forum like this would pop up on there dude =) you're teachers shouldn't be using the program for every single work you submit! they really should be using it for your final work which will count for your IB! and really it's just a precaution them to make sure no one's plagiarised and give students a 2nd chance to sort themselves out if they did pliagarise! and you do have a 20% ability to pliagiarise, where quotes that are properly referenced do not count!

and you shouldn't take any advice from this forum literally! the advice is given for the value of its context not to help anyone word by word!

Our teachers got it this year, now they use it for everything. Someone's EE actually has a problem, apparently they didn't cite some Internet sources so it's plagiarized. But the person have the chance to fix it, our school doesn't expel people for it.

My essay went through, it was fine. Sometimes it's stupid, it tells you that you plagiarized your table of contents or something.

Our teachers got it this year, now they use it for everything. Someone's EE actually has a problem, apparently they didn't cite some Internet sources so it's plagiarized. But the person have the chance to fix it, our school doesn't expel people for it.

My essay went through, it was fine. Sometimes it's stupid, it tells you that you plagiarized your table of contents or something.

Common phrases don't really count as being plagiarized. So unless you forgot to cite or you really did plagiarize, you have nothing to worry about. :P

This is really interesting. How people who don't actually plagiarize, end up convincing themselves they do. at my school we had a similar thing go on with study guides for a physics test. 2 or 3 people copied, and then everyone rushed to the class to ask if it was them who did it. My teachers dont use that, however they watch plagiarism.

however, I did have to use the site for my online classes. One time, I teacher accused me of plagiarism due to the fact that I was up at 1 writing an excellent essay. she said, no way that is yours without any proof :/ caused a huge commotion :[ But its all good now.

Turnitin.com also has varied degrees of plagiarism. So similar ideas will come up I think in yellow, and then they are looked at since they signal an 'alarm'. It could mean that some word was close to it. Its a very resourceful site :P

• 1 year later...