Languages accepted in universities

Mshw

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, revumol7 said:

When you say accepted, do you mean accepted as a transfer credit?

I mean can I not get into specific universities if I take one of those languages or do they accept the diploma normally with whichever language?

Guest TheMagical7

Well you haven't told us which universities you want to get into. Foreign or at home?

Take only your first language as Language A. You will not be able to do French A because it's a native-level subject. French will mainly help you if you want to go to a university in Europe, or in particular, France. And French AB initio is only available as SL.

English B is preferable if you want to go to a western country.

7 hours ago, TheMagical7 said:

Well you haven't told us which universities you want to get into. Foreign or at home?

Take only your first language as Language A. You will not be able to do French A because it's a native-level subject. French will mainly help you if you want to go to a university in Europe, or in particular, France. And French AB initio is only available as SL.

English B is preferable if you want to go to a western country.

ok so I want to go to a university in the uk or the us or Australia and Arabic isn't my first language however I'm Egyptian so I'm worried they may judge me based on that and think that I should've taken it as A. Someone told me that they won't accept your first language as a language B but it's not my first language and I'm worried they might think it is. 

Guest TheMagical7

Stop worrying. For language A, take the language that you are best at. If you have learned Egyptian all your life - take that. If you have learned Arabic all your life - take that. For language B it does not matter whether or not it is your first language. In Australia, for language B I do French and it would not matter if I were French.

Simply put, you need to already be better at your language A than at your language B. If you want to study in a western country, English B is preferable because it may be easier for you to gain entry as well as study in English, but you should have studied English before for at least 2 years. However you should take whatever languages you want for A and B as long as you're good at them. I am not saying you have to take English. Take Arabic if it suits you.

For ab initio which replaces language b however, you are not allowed to do a language you have already studied before.

Edited by TheMagical7

On September 27, 2017 at 10:49 AM, TheMagical7 said:

Stop worrying. For language A, take the language that you are best at. If you have learned Egyptian all your life - take that. If you have learned Arabic all your life - take that. For language B it does not matter whether or not it is your first language. In Australia, for language B I do French and it would not matter if I were French.

Simply put, you need to already be better at your language A than at your language B. If you want to study in a western country, English B is preferable because it may be easier for you to gain entry as well as study in English, but you should have studied English before for at least 2 years. However you should take whatever languages you want for A and B as long as you're good at them. I am not saying you have to take English. Take Arabic if it suits you.

For ab initio which replaces language b however, you are not allowed to do a language you have already studied before.

Thank youuu :)

On 9/27/2017 at 4:49 PM, TheMagical7 said:

Wait!!! You can't simply choose whatever language u best at. Believe me!!! My 1st language is Mongolian and I chose Mongolian A. But now when I apply to universities some of them do not accept Mongolian as a subject. So if you want to study in top 100 universities or smthg u have to take English A and whatever language for B. But if your English is bad and u think u will fail English A then take Arabic A and take IELTS or TOEFL, but your chances to get into best universities will reduce a lot. But u can nail your IELTS and Arabic A (and other subjects too) and England will be happy to accept u.

On 01/10/2017 at 6:36 AM, ded said:

Wait!!! You can't simply choose whatever language u best at. Believe me!!! My 1st language is Mongolian and I chose Mongolian A. But now when I apply to universities some of them do not accept Mongolian as a subject. So if you want to study in top 100 universities or smthg u have to take English A and whatever language for B. But if your English is bad and u think u will fail English A then take Arabic A and take IELTS or TOEFL, but your chances to get into best universities will reduce a lot. But u can nail your IELTS and Arabic A (and other subjects too) and England will be happy to accept u.

This is not true. I took Polish A and English B, and got into top universities in the UK. I understand that some languages A might not be accepted (though I find it a bit weird), but it is completely untrue that you have to take english A. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gaby said:

This is not true. I took Polish A and English B, and got into top universities in the UK. I understand that some languages A might not be accepted (though I find it a bit weird), but it is completely untrue that you have to take english A. 

The thing is Polish is much well known than Mongolian. And believe me I'm telling it from my own experience some languages can simply be ignored when it comes to Top Universities. And yeah it doesn't really have to be English. But when it comes to Arabic I really don't know, better directly ask from the university.