Should I take Dance as my 7th subject?

Vasundhara Jethi

I am in Grade 11 and I have 2 humanities (Business HL and Economics HL) and 1 science (Environmental Science SL). I like to dance and I have taken it up as my 7th subject (I still have time to quit it). Choosing a 7th subject is an advantage as in Grade 12, I will be able to drop one of my humanities (and not science) if I score well in Dance this year in grade11. The issue is that I want to specialize in Marketing and study it in my university. Is there a point in taking Dance if I can't drop any of my humanity subject next year? Or can I drop one of my humanity subjects next year? 

I BADLY NEED HELP! 

Greetings, The IB is hard to do and has a lot of stress. Depending on the school and what they can offer can make a students life hell. Will your school let you drop a subject after the first year? If you know they will let you then i would say keep with dance. Even though dance wont help you in the job you want to do, its a fun subject you enjoy. By enjoying the subject it will make you have at least one fun class you enjoy, and thats hard in the IB. You will have to ask your IB coordinator for the specifics of your school and what they will allow. 

Hope this Helped, pm me for if any more questions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late but I just wanted to tell you: Neither business or eco are actually REQUIRED by universities for programmes like Business or Marketing. In India particularly there is a misconception that you need to take all the subjects in the commerce stream to do management courses. If you actually looked at university websites some actually specifically state that a combination of both Eco and BM is highly unpreferred(Like LSE and Edinburgh). Of the two you should take Eco as it is more preferred and easier to score a higher score in(according to statistics).

@ibpickles Hey, thank you for your input but I have chosen the subjects I like, even if not preferred by universities. I believe that loving what you do is the best way to work and hence I chose my subjects that I actually enjoy studying. I was initially advised to take history instead of Business Management but what's the point if I just sleep off in class right? Also, I would be going to Canada to complete my under grad. The universities I have spoken to feel that performance in academics (scores) is very very crucial. Therefore, by choosing something I like, I have better chances of scoring well in it.