Switching HL subjects in the second year of IB?

Lorde

Hello,

Is it possible to switch HL subjects during the first semester of the second year (IB2)? Right now I'm currently doing Bio at HL and I want to drop it and do geography instead. I realized I don't need biology for the program I'm plan on doing at Uni and geography would aid me. I'm flunking Bio so bad, I don't understand it and no matter how hard I try I still get low marks. I know it would have been better for me to switch during the first semester of IB1 but I honestly thought I could make it in bio but it's not going well. I have a good background in geography, and I don't mind meeting the teacher outside of school hours to work. If I continue with bio I'm probably just going to fail the diploma. See the thing is I didn't understand the concepts of bio and I had no experience in it and my school let me do it at HL, I had no guidance on choosing my subjects.

If i'm not allowed to switch I might just end up dropping the diploma then.

I think it is fine as long as your another subject (geography in your case) is not completely new. It is going to be very hard for you especially HL Geography if you haven't studied before. I personally just switched from English HL to SL and Economics SL to HL and my coordinator said it is ok as long as you don't take another new subject.