HL Math,Phys,English SL Compsci.... for Oxford

mobiusdick

I'm a month into IB and my classes so far are: HL Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Arabic B; SL Economics and English LL. However, I've been rethinking what I want to do in the future and have been moving away from engineering/physics towards more Maths and computer science. If I decide to drop chemistry for comp sci, my schedule will be as follows: HL Maths, Physics, English LL; SL Comp Sci, Economics, Spanish AB. My school doesn't offer computer science Higher Level. I'm worried that this setup is not as strong as the first one with regards to me applying for mathematics at Oxford. Also, without CS HL, there is no way I can apply for CS at Oxford and be taken seriously. Thoughts?

Edited by mobiusdick

Guest TheMagical7

Above all you want to obtain a competitive diploma score. The first setup to me is not easy but the second set-up looks good. Following your second set-up, it will be preferable to drop either Physics or English to SL and do Economics HL since it is a lot easier. And in Australian universities, I can do engineering with just Physics SL, and Maths HL. You need to contact oxford or research about pre-requisites for engineering, in case you want to drop Physics HL to SL since it can be tough.

Really to me it seems all you need is Maths HL, for computer science. Don't worry about them saying "no" because you didn't take CS at HL. It's not even a real subject offered in other type of diplomas.

Edited by TheMagical7

It would be nice if you could take Further math if you're applying for pure math, especially at Oxbridge, but realistically it probably doesn't matter that much, as most schools don't offer it in the first place. Math HL is mostly sufficient (and the most important thing) for both CS and pure math (check their website for specifics). Read more math books too, and don't be afraid to jump out the syllabus. You probably need to take the MAT test too. 

Most of the requirements are on their website though - as @TheMagical7 said, do some research or contact the university directly. 

Edited by SC2Player

• 8 months later...

Well I'm at the end of IB 1 now and I haven't changed my classes. However, I am considering bringing Economics up to HL, keeping in mind mocks are in 2-3 weeks.

I know it seems crazy to have 5 HLs, especially after a year of having 4 and suffering because of that. However, Econ HL requires a Paper 3 which is mostly math which I am rather good at. Paper 1s have been giving me a hard time, so I want to make sure I can secure a 7 in Economics by bumping it up to HL (I know it seems counter-intuitive).

Thoughts?