How to succeed in IB?

Sleeping Dude

Hey, I am feeling kind of down and stressed from IB. I am starting DP 2 and already on the holidays we have 4 assessment pieces and TOK. It seems that even though I try my best, I seem to be missing something and I want to be able to cry tears of happiness not tears of pain when I end IB. Are there any tips from past students which they felt helped them succeed and also were there any hardships you went through?

I am in DP2 as well, and I can relate. I have tried my best to do things well to perfection, trying not to procrastinate on ee or cas or whatever, but the work seems to just pile on. Know that you are not alone. I can say, however, that for our school, once you make it past November (when college applications are due in the U.S.) stress levels gradually decrease. Try your best now, and find a time to say that you have tried your hardest on something and you don't need to continue working it to perfection. I have had to sacrifice doing certain assignments over others on certain nights because of the amount of work, me being a student who had judged others for not doing their work. It is something that every IB student deals with, but we are all in this together.

I wish you luck on the rest of both yours and everyone's IB journey. Stay strong.

• Like 2

Thanks for the moral support! I'm glad that there are others who also struggle the same way and I'll listen to your feedback. I guess I need to prioritise better and see which subjects are going to give me the most amount of pain for my finals and do well in those IAs and put less time for the ones I will do fine on for the November exams. 

Well, I wish you luck too and so as everyone else's to strive to achieve a high IB. 

Perhaps my opinion is not very valuable since I'm only on my first year. However, I feel like "succeeding" in IB often has a certain bias, one definition that definitely does not fit for all. I'm never going to be a student that'll dedicate a whole life around school, it's not possible. Therefore, I won't be one of those who gets a 45.  At times, I wish I was like those who were focused and driven in their efforts towards school but it's just a small fraction of our lives. That idea of success does not get me fricken jazzed, what is truly valuable (to me anyway) is the emotional growth, not the 7's. Anyone who experiences sadness in their experience are the ones who have truly gotten the most out of it the program, the work that IB entails should remind us that we are capable and strong, the struggle should be felt. My whole life I've struggled with the school system but I'm still alive and I know that I can do this. I won't do it perfectly but I know I will do it. I also believe that you can do it, you already went through a year! I believe that everyone should be able to cry tears of happiness because every deserves that feeling no matter your academic accomplishments.

Recognize who you are and accept it, don't strive to be perfect, strive to be you.

PS im sorry this was so all over the place but good luck man, all of us IB students need to support eachotha. im corny lol 

• Like 3