Need help with a strict teacher

KenSoftTH

Hello everyone,

So, currently, I'm a Math HL Y1 student and I'm really struggle in Math HL. My teacher us from Netherland and he don't really use question from IB curriculum, but mostly from his Dutch textbook. He usually teach us with worksheets he made up himself and the difficulty level is acceptable. I feel like I understand everything he taught because I'm having no problem working on the questions on the worksheet. However, I found that the questions on his quiz/test are very challenging and mostly I'm ended up with many Ds in test and quiz. My current overall grade is 75.9 (C) I'm considering dropping the course and move to SL, but I want to ask for some advice first. Last year, I was in accelerated math class and earned A-, so I don't really wanna give up yet, but definitely need some advice.

Thanks!

Guest TheMagical7

Optionally you may self teach yourself from the Math HL haese book. You also need to know which HL option your school will order for you - there is a separate Haese document for that. Search up something like 150 ib textbook database reddit to get the book free online.

The haese book itself is insufficient because it should be completed within a year, so search up the syllabus and see what you need.

18 hours ago, KenSoftTH said:

Hello everyone,

So, currently, I'm a Math HL Y1 student and I'm really struggle in Math HL. My teacher us from Netherland and he don't really use question from IB curriculum, but mostly from his Dutch textbook. He usually teach us with worksheets he made up himself and the difficulty level is acceptable. I feel like I understand everything he taught because I'm having no problem working on the questions on the worksheet. However, I found that the questions on his quiz/test are very challenging and mostly I'm ended up with many Ds in test and quiz. My current overall grade is 75.9 (C) I'm considering dropping the course and move to SL, but I want to ask for some advice first. Last year, I was in accelerated math class and earned A-, so I don't really wanna give up yet, but definitely need some advice.

Thanks!

I would suggest talking to your teacher first about your concerns and asking him about how you can improve 

You're only in your first year of IB, so don't give up yet! You still have so much time to improve and the transition into IB is a huge shock for anybody. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers! 1

4 hours ago, ShootingStar16 said:

I would suggest talking to your teacher first about your concerns and asking him about how you can improve 

You're only in your first year of IB, so don't give up yet! You still have so much time to improve and the transition into IB is a huge shock for anybody. 

He said that he gonna keep the class average at 80% and C in his class is for people who will get 5-6 in IB. He said I should work more on problems, but It's seems like he always try to make the test, so that the best people in the class won't get more than 95. So, that made IB Math HL even worst!

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, ErnieVercher said:

Hey. I feel sorry because your teacher who teaches math is demanding. To cope with the requirements that your teacher who teaches math, you need the help of friends or special companies that will do your homework perfectly. I have a demanding teacher who teaches writing. So in order to cope with the requirements that my teacher, who teaches writing, I use the services - which writes my dissertations. Thanks to the assistant who will do your tasks - you will receive good grades. Thanks to the fact that you will receive good grades - you will be successful. I wish you success!

Sorry to say this, but I think this is a very very bad idea. Hiring someone to do your homework for you will not help you get any better at your subjects. You won't have this help during your exams, so if you haven't been doing your own work, you will not be well prepared. Perhaps getting a tutor might be a good idea, but definitely do not allow others to do the work for you. In addition, IB takes plagiarism and the like offenses very seriously, and any indication of plagiarism may stop you from getting your IB diploma.  No doubt most already know this, but just another precaution.