Hi! So, I've just finished my first month of the IB programme. I am planning to apply to medicine in the UK. Theoretically, I have picked all of the subjects that are required (chemistry&biology HL). However, I am concerned about English even though I'm aware the choice between English A and B is not that important for universities (and there is nothing mentioned about in in entry requirements).

Currently, I'm attending English B classes, but it is the last possibility to transfer this week.

On the one hand, English B is more likely to provide me with a 7 on the exam + it would allow me to focus on biology and chemistry for medicine (as there is definitely less work)

However, my tutor claims that English A would prepare me better for the interview and would make my language sound "native". I do like literature, but I dread that it would be too time-consuming and that writing and literature would continuously have a negative impact on my grades from bio and chemistry.

The case is: which option should I choose to maximize my chances of applying to medicine with success? Is English A really that demanding and tough? Is it worth to risk my bio-chem grades in order to strengthen my language skills? Is choosing English A really crucial to do well on the interview or staying on English B is enough?

Thank you for your opinions:irene:

No clue how English A is meant to prepare you better for the interview, but I'd say English B is quite sufficient. I got into Oxford Law (which, arguably, is likely to value language fluency a bit more than medicine purely because it's a highly essay-based subject) having taken English B. I'd say it's more important to practice speaking a lot than take English A. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SusyArbusy said:

Hi! So, I've just finished my first month of the IB programme. I am planning to apply to medicine in the UK. Theoretically, I have picked all of the subjects that are required (chemistry&biology HL). However, I am concerned about English even though I'm aware the choice between English A and B is not that important for universities (and there is nothing mentioned about in in entry requirements).

Currently, I'm attending English B classes, but it is the last possibility to transfer this week.

On the one hand, English B is more likely to provide me with a 7 on the exam + it would allow me to focus on biology and chemistry for medicine (as there is definitely less work)

However, my tutor claims that English A would prepare me better for the interview and would make my language sound "native". I do like literature, but I dread that it would be too time-consuming and that writing and literature would continuously have a negative impact on my grades from bio and chemistry.

The case is: which option should I choose to maximize my chances of applying to medicine with success? Is English A really that demanding and tough? Is it worth to risk my bio-chem grades in order to strengthen my language skills? Is choosing English A really crucial to do well on the interview or staying on English B is enough?

Thank you for your opinions:irene:

As a medical applicant who is about to send off their application this week, I can tell you that English will have next to 0 of importance. So far I had my fair share of mock interviews (well, 3 sets of 6 MMIs), and my language proficiency was important, but definitely not aided by the English A course. In fact, I'd say it was TOK and my non-scientific subjects which helped me shine at interviews, as compared to the A-level peers I was scored against. 

The only difference is that universities might require you to take the IELTS, which (according to someone I know) is, quote: "piss easy". You have bio and chem which are the most important ones, so don't fret. Good luck with IB!

• Like 1