Economics HL: MATHS?

Hi!

I'm considering taking econ SL or HL. I think I would like the subject but I'm not good t maths and I'm wondering if this would hinder to success in the subject. I found SL maths in preIB quite difficult and I'm going to take studies in the IB. How big of a role does maths play in econ and is there a difference in the amount of maths between SL and HL?

Thanks already in advance! 

Edited by Madeleine Råstedt
spelling mistakes

The math itself is probably capped at studies level, so you probably don't have to worry about it being too hard. However, I did know some students who didn't find the calculations intuitive and had to resort to just memorizing them. 

Edited by pieispi

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest discriminator between SL and HL economics is Theory of the Firm, which is itself half of Microeconomics, should you choose to take HL. Calculations themselves form part of theory of the firm, but to answer you question, calculations are probably around 1/3 to 1/2 of HL Ecos, with the rest being ToTF.

Hey there,

HL Econ doesn't have obscenely hard math. If my memory serves, basic algebra, and some arithmetic are largely what are needed. Sometimes graphs and explanations (except the graph follows points that you plot). So nothing to worry to much about.

If the math is the limiting factor I say go for it. 

• Like 1