Advice

eblake

Both my parents are in finance, have degrees in business administration, and are chartered accountants. My higher levels are history, English A1 and visual arts. I love those courses, and up to this point I wanted to study philosophy/political science after highschool or play piano full-time. That being said, my highest grades are language courses, i.e. French, Spanish, Mandarin.

But this IB2 year I've developed a taste for science and math. Knowing that there are right answers and rigor to your methods is really appealing after all this time I've spent in history, visual arts and English. As a result, I want to study actuarial sciences now. Also, prior to IB I've always been stronger in math and sciences anyway.

What should I study?

Edited by eblake

:P We can't answer that for you, you need to do what you like. Personally, I'd go the 'Arts' route, there never is a black and white answer to everything as you say.

Besides, going the actuarial route would mean that you'd have to do Maths 24/7 for the rest of your life, that will be your profession. If you think you're up for it and don't mind the extra work that results from doing stuff like that, then go ahead for Actuarial Sciences. It pays a fair bit of money once you're fully qualified.

What makes you want to do actuarial science? Is it the money?

I was in a similar position at the beginning of this year. My HLs were Maths Chem and Physics and I always stronger in the maths and sciences (probably because I was never exposed to any other subjects and I am an Asian). Except in IB I had to do some humanities so I chose Geo as well. Turns out I am much more interested in the social sciences now.

Now I am planning to do City Planning...

EDIT: I read your post again and it seems you are IB2 now, which means you would have to meet the Jan 1st deadline for applications which is like in 20 days time, so you have to decide real soon before you apply? (For some universities where you have to declare which college you wish to apply to, such as Cornell.)

Edited by Forester

What makes you want to do actuarial science? Is it the money?

No. A sense of practicality and that the theories you learn can be applied so easily = satisfaction? You know that basic gratification you get when you check the back of your textbook and see that your answer's right? You're justified and there IS an answer. I'm not saying this is necessarily better; i still appreciate the 'to what extent' aspect of humanities. It's that I've come to enjoy the abundance of certainty and the rigor of objectivity so common in math and sciences. It's fun being able to explain things in certain terms and looking for faster, more efficient ways to reach the answer. It's tedious and almost.. useless? to look for such a thing in history or English. You can back up your theory, and you can do it extremely well; but all it ever is a theory.. one theory among many, many, many.

EDIT: I read your post again and it seems you are IB2 now, which means you would have to meet the Jan 1st deadline for applications which is like in 20 days time, so you have to decide real soon before you apply? (For some universities where you have to declare which college you wish to apply to, such as Cornell.)

Seems like? I said I was..

I know about Cornell and the deadlines for declarations :P thank you. I would apply for actuarial sciences at Waterloo because it's fairly strong, and humanities/etc at more arts-focused schools, so not to worry.

Edited by eblake

Waterloo sometimes is called Waterwoo I heard? Because there are so many Asians there.

If you go into engineering or mathematics, yeah pretty much. Also apparently the guy : girl ratio is undesirable if you're a guy.

Are we all Canadian? hum.

@OP: Your dream school is Brown? And RISD? Can you do actuarial sciences there?

no :P

I'm applying to illustration at RISD, political science/history at a lot of colleges, and actuarial sciences at Waterloo. One of the appealing things about Brown/RISD's dual-degree program is that I didn't have to choose between fine arts and liberal arts. Except then actuarial sciences kicked in.

As of now, I figure I'll decide what I'll do after the rejection letters roll in. and crush me.

Edited by eblake

So far the UK has been kind to me, but I doubt US would be the same. Hey you are applying to like 3 of the unis Im applying to.

which three?

US has been amazing to my school this year. early acceptances into harvard, yale, dartmouth (3), cornell, columbia, wesleyan, and stanford.

I felt somewhat the same way! which is why I did Chem HL alongside all the other more social sciency subjects. I chose to go with social sciences for my majour, but you don't have to give up your eagerness for science! you can just do some degree like econ, or enviro econ that would include maths and ethical modules...

or you can just double major! but I'd make up my mind and stick to a decision if I were you, makes career paths seem so much clearer =)

Both my parents are in finance, have degrees in business administration, and are chartered accountants. My higher levels are history, English A1 and visual arts. I love those courses, and up to this point I wanted to study philosophy/political science after highschool or play piano full-time. That being said, my highest grades are language courses, i.e. French, Spanish, Mandarin.

But this IB2 year I've developed a taste for science and math. Knowing that there are right answers and rigor to your methods is really appealing after all this time I've spent in history, visual arts and English. As a result, I want to study actuarial sciences now. Also, prior to IB I've always been stronger in math and sciences anyway.

What should I study?

In my college, we have a class for Actuarial Science students. They are the last batch to study it as my college have closed the class for Actuarial this year.

The subjects that they took are SL: BMS,Eng B, Malay A1; HL: Econs,Maths, (cant remember the other one)

For me, you should study what you think is best for you. Doesn't really have to follow the steps of your parents. Choose the best suite your interest.

ok, all the best. :(