Does anyone think ess is a useless subject

Chakuza

3 minutes ago, Chakuza said:

just want to see other people opinions 

It's Ok. I don't see why people who really have no wish to do science should have it shoved down their throats. Thus the blending of social sciences and direct applications of science through ESS would be a lot more useful.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the million memes on ESS students :D 

It is (for me at least), i'm in IB1 and I chose ESS because I heard from older students about it being extremely easy (IGCSE level). I don't mind it being boring or useless if I can get myself a 7, but I do find myself starting to fall asleep in lessons due to how dry the content is (Teacher did say that the first unit is the most boring). But once again, I don't plan to have a career in any scientific field nor do I have any interest in science, so the best choice for me anyways would have been ESS. 

On 10/13/2017 at 1:03 AM, Max Fung said:

It is (for me at least), i'm in IB1 and I chose ESS because I heard from older students about it being extremely easy (IGCSE level). I don't mind it being boring or useless if I can get myself a 7, but I do find myself starting to fall asleep in lessons due to how dry the content is (Teacher did say that the first unit is the most boring). But once again, I don't plan to have a career in any scientific field nor do I have any interest in science, so the best choice for me anyways would have been ESS. 

It seems that it's not statistically justified to be the easiest group 4 subject. From IB Statistical Bulletin, it has only a mere 3-8% students get 7s (depending if May or Nov sessions), compared to 5-20+% 7s for most other group 4s. Even for 6s/7s it's only about 12-20% of students compared to 15-50% for other group 4s.  ESS is probably useless in terms of fulfilling university admission requirements but it does well to act as both a group 3 and 4 and offers more possible subject combination. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kw0573 said:

It seems that it's not statistically justified to be the easiest group 4 subject. From IB Statistical Bulletin, it has only a mere 3-8% students get 7s (depending if May or Nov sessions), compared to 5-20+% 7s for most other group 4s. Even for 6s/7s it's only about 12-20% of students compared to 15-50% for other group 4s.  ESS is probably useless in terms of fulfilling university admission requirements but it does well to act as both a group 3 and 4 and offers more possible subject combination. 

Yes I agree with ESS not being an easy subject per se. But it is much easier to score a 7 in ESS in my school as the course is handled by the science department (Unlike most other schools which is handled by the humanities department), my bio teacher told me last year that 75% of ESS students in the 2015 class scored 7's which instantly attracted me. 

• Like 1