IB Certificate or IB Diploma?

JuanRehak

Hello everybody,

I want to ask you for advice. I am currently doing the IB DP, and my subjects are Czech A (SL), English B (HL), Economics (SL), Physics (HL), Chemistry (HL) and Math (SL). I was thinking if I should do the IB certificate instead of the diploma. I want to work as a chemical engineer, and so the languages and economy are useless for me. I've heard that in the IB certificate you can choose a number of subjects you want to do, so I would choose high levels physics, chemistry, and math. Our school does not teach HL math, which is why I have just SL. I've also heard that you do not need to do ToK, EE, and CAS. My question is, should I do the IB Diploma or the IB Certificate? 

Thanks for any advice

The certificate is recognised very poorly in comparison to the Diploma, IB gets its "hellish" aspects from the diploma (TOK, EE, 150CAS), therefore taking it away would take the main IB aspect of it, which in my eyes beats the whole purpose of doing the IB course.

Hope this helps!

13 hours ago, JuanRehak said:

Hello everybody,

I want to ask you for advice. I am currently doing the IB DP, and my subjects are Czech A (SL), English B (HL), Economics (SL), Physics (HL), Chemistry (HL) and Math (SL). I was thinking if I should do the IB certificate instead of the diploma. I want to work as a chemical engineer, and so the languages and economy are useless for me. I've heard that in the IB certificate you can choose a number of subjects you want to do, so I would choose high levels physics, chemistry, and math. Our school does not teach HL math, which is why I have just SL. I've also heard that you do not need to do ToK, EE, and CAS. My question is, should I do the IB Diploma or the IB Certificate? 

Thanks for any advice

As mentio

13 hours ago, JuanRehak said:

Hello everybody,

Thanks for any advice

I would strongly advise against IB certificates as stand alone qualifications due to their lack of credibility at many International universities and institutions. I'd advise you take either the IB diploma or your country's equivalent course.