Dropping out of the IB diploma into the IB certificate

elcoolnino

Dropping out of the IB diploma is something I am highly considering and I have the course change form in my hand ready to sign. IB has taken a lot of my free time, has been stressing me out, taking away sleep and overall has been a detriment to my mental health. I even have been gaining weight because I just don't have the time to study and work out. The university I want to go to requires a 88 average out of 5 courses and I don't think I can reach that with my current grades. I also want to apply with my Alberta grades as opposed to my IB grades. Dropping the IB Diploma would mean a fresh start in many of the regular stream classes. I also eventually want to go to med school in Toronto. So why shouldn't I quit?

Hi, first off, welcome to IB Survival.

I mean, your reasoning sounds pretty logical and sensible, so I really can't give you any reasons for why you shouldn't.

If you want to drop and think it would be a good decision, then it probably is.

It certainly sounds like it would be good for you. There's no hidden benefits to doing IB apart from the uni credits for doing well on exams. In all likelihood, nobody will care whether you did it or not in a year from now, and that includes you. I wish you luck.

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here for the sake of maybe uncovering some of the things you might have overlooked.

In general, the IB for me has been a really formative experience and has given a lot of skills I doubt I would have acquired from the state-funded equivalent at our school. The challenges in it are probably what have been the most rewarding for me, and getting through them has taught me a lot about myself, anxiety, stress and how to deal with them. At the end, they also teach you how to be satisfied with your mark, and to know that what you put in is what you get out. More objectively, the IB gives you research skills and pushes you, in most facets, to engage in university level content, which, should you choose to pursue in university, will undoubtedly be a huge benefit. Its given me speaking skills, through the oral presentations I've had to give in English A: Lit and TOK, as well as writing skills - how to plan an essay, how to argue effectively - and most importantly, how to study effectively. Where I live, the IB is also advantageous in that it does not "scale" your mark according to the rest of your school cohort, which the state-run alternative does (as in, your performance is somewhat dependent on how the rest of the school does, for any given subject).

I'm aware that you might not be able to relate to some, or even all of what I've mentioned, but as a final remark, I want to say there's still time. A lot can happen in 6 months, believe it or not, and I think if you put yourself to it, you could completely pick yourself up to a point where you're satisfied with your IB.

Ultimately, its up to you. I do not and cannot know what you're going through right now - but what I can give is my opinion. If you need any more help deciding, feel free to send a PM :)

Edited by tim9800
  • Like 1