should i be taking chem HL

macbakeib88

if you don't need it and you think that the course will be difficult to the point where you either won't enjoy it or it'll impact the time you can spend on your other subjects, drop it. having said that, chem hl is a really interesting course, so i reckon if you do enjoy it you should stick with it! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, macbakeib88 said:

should i be taking chem HL even if I don't need it at university? i like chem and everything but i'm having a hard time understanding everything and i don't think i'll need it in the future for uni or in general...

thanks for any advice 

I switched from Chemistry SL to HL upon starting DP2, despite planning to go into Economics/Business in university. My main reason for having done so was because I started to really enjoy Chemistry in the second semester it was being taught, and at SL I would be missing out on so much more fun and challenging content. 

Although Chemistry got harder in the process, I guess it was due to my really loving the subject that gave me the drive to do well in it. I know it's not the case for everyone though - if you're having a hard time understanding it, and you don't even need it at university, by all means drop it.