ENTRANCE EXAM

crcrcr7

So I’m applying to the IB program for Dr G W Williams (YRDSB)  in November and i was wondering if an 83% average for grade 7 enough? I did good on Math english and french but it was the more minor subjects that threw me off. I also go to extra curricular and i have English and Math down for my entrance exam. I’m also wondering what tenses i should learn cuz i know that the french subject for admission is extremely hard and any vocabulary specifically i should focus on? I have been studying basically non stop the past few days and don’t feel like i’m entirely ready for the french part. some people say that it’s ok and i will get in but i need some advice from people that have been through it.

Basically just help me know if i have a good or bad chance of getting in and what i should study for the french portion of the admission test

Edited by crcrcr7

I found the practice questions posted on the school website and it definitely seem to focus on vocab. I would not worry about grammar at all. You can review basic nouns and adjectives for weather, emotion/mood/feeling, personality traits, professions/family members, utensils, groceries, colors, etc. All three sample questions have fairly common words. If you have been doing well in French you should be ok. Also, review math and english as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

I found the practice questions posted on the school website and it definitely seem to focus on vocab. I would not worry about grammar at all. You can review basic nouns and adjectives for weather, emotion/mood/feeling, personality traits, professions/family members, utensils, groceries, colors, etc. All three sample questions have fairly common words. If you have been doing well in French you should be ok. Also, review math and english as well. 

i can do the practice questions no problem but it’s mostly my anxiety and my grade 7 report making me ask if I have a good chance at getting into pre IB. Any places you suggest me to review my french?

Edited by crcrcr7

• 2 weeks later...

The french questions are similar to the practice questions they give. There is around 5 questions with that format. HOWEVER, they actually focus more on text comprehension. For example they’ll give you a picture and you will need to circle the option for what’s happening in the picture. There is actually different amount of time given for different subject. They range from 20 minutes (which was the math I think) to 45 minutes. Maybe this will boost ur self esteem...the average they look at is only the main subjects! So you can recalculate your average with math, English, science, french, history, geography (no arts or gym marks). I believe you will get in! I was really scared last year too when I took the YRDSB test, but I’m at bayview right now. I hope this helped and good luck!

• Like 1