MINI extended essay topics?

Zephyr

Hello everyone,

As a year 11 pre-dp student, our school requires a mini-extended essay (2000 words) in a subject of our choice. Any schools out there with the same requirement? And if so, is it allowed/advisable to have the same topic in EE the next year? I'm unsure whether to do two similar ones or a totally different subject for variety and challenge. :huh:

Thanks in advance :)

My school had a similar requirement as an entrance exam into the IB program within another public school.

I'd suggest you do two different topics but would think you should be able to do both the pre-EE and the EE in the same subject.  I would personally do two different subjects for the sake of variety since in my experience doing them in the same subject can get rather boring quite quickly. However, you should also keep in mind that you'd have practiced for the EE in that subject since you've already done the pre-EE in the same subject.

There are both positives and negatives to both but overall I'd go with different subjects to keep me interested and engaged.

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Thank you! 

I agree completely now :)

I'm going to do "Effect of CFC12 on the atmosphere" in chemistry for mini EE, and might do something in Econ or literature next year :) 

Good luck!

Unless you want to go into the scientific field, or are really passionate about the sciences, I wouldn't advise doing a science EE since they tend to be the hardest to score well in. 

6 hours ago, mac117 said:

Good luck!

Unless you want to go into the scientific field, or are really passionate about the sciences, I wouldn't advise doing a science EE since they tend to be the hardest to score well in. 

Thanks for the tips! I don't think that I'll end up doing a science EE, experiments aren't my favorite thing, but I do enjoy learning about other people's research and facts etc, so I'm enjoying researching my chem mini EE (for now at least, let's see how long that lasts :P)

Edited by Zephyr
unfinished writing