Do IB certificate students get accepted into university?

Lorde

Hello all,

Long story short I dropped the full IB diploma a few days ago and I am now currently doing the IB certificate. I am doing 6 subjects, 4 SL's and 2 Hl's. I dropped Biology HL to SL, it was just too much content for me to handle. Anyways, my question is will I be able to get admitted into a good school? I'm focusing more on Canada than America in terms of schools. I am in my second year of IB and my current score is 26 but I'm trying to push it up. My counselor and I emailed most of my American schools and they mostly said they don't care about whether it's the full diploma or certificate but 1. I don't have very high grades and 2. My SAT score is not that competitive. Right now I seriously feel like I'm not going to get accepted anywhere and my parents will kill me. I'm so disappointed in myself but I'm trying to push through. Please tell me if you think I'll have a shot at getting accepted. Also please feel free to add any schools you would think I have a shot at.

For Canada I'm looking at University of Calgary, UBC, Queens, Thompson Rivers, Western University , Brock, York and University of Ottawa.

I was also thinking of University of Sydney in Australia but I'm not sure...

Edited by Lorde
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lorde said:

Hello all,

Long story short I dropped the full IB diploma a few days ago and I am now currently doing the IB certificate. I am doing 6 subjects, 4 SL's and 2 Hl's. I dropped Biology HL to SL, it was just too much content for me to handle. Anyways, my question is will I be able to get admitted into a good school? I'm focusing more on Canada than America in terms of schools. I am in my second year of IB and my current score is 26 but I'm trying to push it up. My counselor and I emailed most of my American schools and they mostly said they don't care about whether it's the full diploma or certificate but 1. I don't have very high grades and 2. My SAT score is not that competitive. Right now I seriously feel like I'm not going to get accepted anywhere and my parents will kill me. I'm so disappointed in myself but I'm trying to push through. Please tell me if you think I'll have a shot at getting accepted. Also please feel free to add any schools you would think I have a shot at.

For Canada I'm looking at University of Calgary, UBC, Queens, Thompson Rivers, Western University , Brock, York and University of Ottawa.

I was also thinking of University of Sydney in Australia but I'm not sure...

I have a few friends with IB certificates that got into top universities in Australia e.g. Uni Melbourne, UNSW. One of them was doing all his subjects at SL. 

Canadian universities do accept IB certificate as far as I’m aware. If you also have a transcript from your local school district that’ll help too.

The only issue would be whether your marks are high enough. Some universities like UBC and Queens have very high cutoffs for certain programs. 

I would contact an admissions officer officer at some of the Canadian universities you’re interested in to find out more information

Edited by VeronicaG