Failing tests/quizzes

asdfwanderer

Hi y'all!

I have been in this IB course from late August 2017 till now (early November) and I'm failing most of my quiz and tests :( 

Here are my marks for each subject:

Physics HL: Level 3 (35%)

Geography HL: Level 4 (40%)

English LL HL: (50%)

Chinese LL SL: Level 2-3 (11/20 for my most recent test)

Maths SL: Level 2-3

Business SL: (9/20 for most recent test)

What should I do at this point :( I'm kinda worried and skeptical for the next 2 years of my IB course :( 

Should I switch to AP or A-Levels, or should I retake first year of IB D: 

What you should do, depends on what you think the main reason why you are getting poor grades. Could it be bad time management, too many commitments/chores, laziness/boredom, bad teachers, class too fast, tests very different from class materials, not prepared to take the classes, or another reason? If the problem is not specific to IB, then even if you leave IB you may still face similar troubles so it's best to identify the root of problem and tackle it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

sorry for the late reply kw0573:(

from what i can see, my general issue is that i just can't bring myself to focus in class and i tend to not revise because it's boring :( i can't help but just procastinate and put all the important thing aside. even with task manager apps i couldn't focus and set priorities. i dont know what to do to be honest :( 

Edited by asdfwanderer

On 1/5/2018 at 4:20 PM, JeffreyYe叶 said:

Its your first year, what I can say, try working harder. Or maybe, drop Chinese to Chinese B.

teachers wont allow me to drop to chinese b because i got a pretty good score last year in IGCSE :(

i dont know but i just cant find the motivation to study harder :crying::crying::crying:

On 2018-01-05 at 3:36 AM, asdfwanderer said:

sorry for the late reply kw0573:(

from what i can see, my general issue is that i just can't bring myself to focus in class and i tend to not revise because it's boring :( i can't help but just procastinate and put all the important thing aside. even with task manager apps i couldn't focus and set priorities. i dont know what to do to be honest :( 

To be honest, you don't have the qualifications of what it takes to be an IB students if you don't want to put effort into the course. The IB programme is meant to be tough and will only get more and more difficult, so if you're not ready to put effort in what you're doing now, during the considered ''easy'' period you will have a rough upcoming two years.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 1:03 AM, dynamitefly said:

To be honest, you don't have the qualifications of what it takes to be an IB students if you don't want to put effort into the course. The IB programme is meant to be tough and will only get more and more difficult, so if you're not ready to put effort in what you're doing now, during the considered ''easy'' period you will have a rough upcoming two years.

i just dont know anymore :( 

I had similar problems too when I was starting out!:? The full IB program was a drastic change from "pre-IB"!

My advice is to talk to your teacher (scary, but needed in a situation like this), some teachers are willing to give extra credit work or provide a much more personal review of a subject to cater to your personal problems within a subject! Sitting down with my teachers before or after class (especially before a big test) gave my grades a huge boost! 

If you do plan on dropping, discuss it with your IB coordinator to provide some insight on if you are making the right decision. I highly recommend doing it as soon as possible instead of waiting until the last moment....it just causes unnecessary stress. :lc:

I wish you the best of luck! I think you can get through this if you have enough determination!:nicole:

Edited by IB Terrified

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alderstevens said:

I'm in my first year and I want to know if little quizzes/tests matter if they're not finals, IAs, EEs. I'm asking this because teachers are good at stressing you for things that don't matter all that much. Thanks :)

Students generally apply to universities with their predicted grades, which are what your teacher thinks you will get at the end. So it is ok to mess up on a test occasionally, but if you consistently score poor grades then your teacher will predict you low grades. 

On 1/10/2018 at 10:15 PM, asdfwanderer said:

i just dont know anymore :( 

Take some time to organize your work schedule.

Planning and organization will be your saving grace, for it has a huge impact in your overall IB journey. 

But, for real though, pick yourself up. IB will only get more difficult as you progress further on in the programme. 

Edited by Felix Wong
Grammar

• 2 years later...

This is my first year in IB. I'm in g9. I think I'm failing chemistry and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing everything I can and I see no improvement. I got 40% on my latest quiz. I don't understand the grading, especially with corona right now. People are saying that the marks from quizzes and assignments are gonna make up the whole course grade because there won't be exams with these covid-19 protocols. I don't know if this is true. I'm getting my midterm report card later this week. What do I do? Is the exams being cancelled true? What even are exams I dont get anything.

Edited by peachy

Welcome to the forum @peachy

I understand that what you're experiencing is frustrating and disheartening. There have been a lot of changes in your life, and going through high school with the virus is very difficult. The most important thing is to recognize and also realize that these academic challenges—though indubitably frustrating—are not that bad in the grand scheme of things. The fact of the matter is that your marks in Grade 9 are just not that important (no matter what format the exams are in); you'll be able to turn this around and it will make you a better student and learner in the future.

In terms of concrete things, I would recommend first self-assessing yourself. How have you studied for chemistry up to this point? Has it been more that you haven't studied enough or that you didn't study in an effective manner. Then, try to make the changes that are necessary. I'd also recommend talking to your teacher about it and being honest but expressing that you want to do better and ask if they have any advice. 

Don't worry, I think this can really be a positive experience and it'll be alright. And please enjoy the long weekend! 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 3:06 AM, Nomenclature said:

Welcome to the forum @peachy

I understand that what you're experiencing is frustrating and disheartening. There have been a lot of changes in your life, and going through high school with the virus is very difficult. The most important thing is to recognize and also realize that these academic challenges—though indubitably frustrating—are not that bad in the grand scheme of things. The fact of the matter is that your marks in Grade 9 are just not that important (no matter what format the exams are in); you'll be able to turn this around and it will make you a better student and learner in the future.

In terms of concrete things, I would recommend first self-assessing yourself. How have you studied for chemistry up to this point? Has it been more that you haven't studied enough or that you didn't study in an effective manner. Then, try to make the changes that are necessary. I'd also recommend talking to your teacher about it and being honest but expressing that you want to do better and ask if they have any advice. 

Don't worry, I think this can really be a positive experience and it'll be alright. And please enjoy the long weekend! 🙂

Thank you, I appreciate your response :))