Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi y'all!

 

I have been in this IB course from late August 2017 till now (early November) and I'm failing most of my quiz and tests :( 

Here are my marks for each subject:

Physics HL: Level 3 (35%)

Geography HL: Level 4 (40%)

English LL HL: (50%)

Chinese LL SL: Level 2-3 (11/20 for my most recent test)

Maths SL: Level 2-3

Business SL: (9/20 for most recent test)

 

What should I do at this point :( I'm kinda worried and skeptical for the next 2 years of my IB course :( 

Should I switch to AP or A-Levels, or should I retake first year of IB D: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you should do, depends on what you think the main reason why you are getting poor grades. Could it be bad time management, too many commitments/chores, laziness/boredom, bad teachers, class too fast, tests very different from class materials, not prepared to take the classes, or another reason? If the problem is not specific to IB, then even if you leave IB you may still face similar troubles so it's best to identify the root of problem and tackle it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry for the late reply kw0573:(

from what i can see, my general issue is that i just can't bring myself to focus in class and i tend to not revise because it's boring :( i can't help but just procastinate and put all the important thing aside. even with task manager apps i couldn't focus and set priorities. i dont know what to do to be honest :( 

Edited by asdfwanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 4:20 PM, JeffreyYe叶 said:

Its your first year, what I can say, try working harder. Or maybe, drop Chinese to Chinese B.

teachers wont allow me to drop to chinese b because i got a pretty good score last year in IGCSE :(

i dont know but i just cant find the motivation to study harder :crying::crying::crying:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-01-05 at 3:36 AM, asdfwanderer said:

sorry for the late reply kw0573:(

from what i can see, my general issue is that i just can't bring myself to focus in class and i tend to not revise because it's boring :( i can't help but just procastinate and put all the important thing aside. even with task manager apps i couldn't focus and set priorities. i dont know what to do to be honest :( 

To be honest, you don't have the qualifications of what it takes to be an IB students if you don't want to put effort into the course. The IB programme is meant to be tough and will only get more and more difficult, so if you're not ready to put effort in what you're doing now, during the considered ''easy'' period you will have a rough upcoming two years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2018 at 1:03 AM, dynamitefly said:

To be honest, you don't have the qualifications of what it takes to be an IB students if you don't want to put effort into the course. The IB programme is meant to be tough and will only get more and more difficult, so if you're not ready to put effort in what you're doing now, during the considered ''easy'' period you will have a rough upcoming two years.

i just dont know anymore :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had similar problems too when I was starting out!:? The full IB program was a drastic change from "pre-IB"!

My advice is to talk to your teacher (scary, but needed in a situation like this), some teachers are willing to give extra credit work or provide a much more personal review of a subject to cater to your personal problems within a subject! Sitting down with my teachers before or after class (especially before a big test) gave my grades a huge boost! 

If you do plan on dropping, discuss it with your IB coordinator to provide some insight on if you are making the right decision. I highly recommend doing it as soon as possible instead of waiting until the last moment....it just causes unnecessary stress. :lc:

I wish you the best of luck! I think you can get through this if you have enough determination!:nicole:

Edited by IB Terrified

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in my first year and I want to know if little quizzes/tests matter if they're not finals, IAs, EEs. I'm asking this because teachers are good at stressing you for things that don't matter all that much. Thanks :)

Edited by alderstevens
grammar check

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alderstevens said:

I'm in my first year and I want to know if little quizzes/tests matter if they're not finals, IAs, EEs. I'm asking this because teachers are good at stressing you for things that don't matter all that much. Thanks :)

Students generally apply to universities with their predicted grades, which are what your teacher thinks you will get at the end. So it is ok to mess up on a test occasionally, but if you consistently score poor grades then your teacher will predict you low grades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 10:15 PM, asdfwanderer said:

i just dont know anymore :( 

Take some time to organize your work schedule.

Planning and organization will be your saving grace, for it has a huge impact in your overall IB journey. 

But, for real though, pick yourself up. IB will only get more difficult as you progress further on in the programme. 

Edited by Felix Wong
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×