Regarding the EE

Stereoisomer

History and English EE's are generally seen as easier than the others. They require a lot of analysis but since you do similar things for World Literature and the Historical Investigation, it's not something completely new. Although for English, you have to be careful not to make it too WL. A girl in my school last year lost a lot of marks because she gave only literary analysis and no social context.

Maths and Science EE's, especially Physics, are hard. A girl in my school got a C and her's was on Physics and the sound waves and different pitches in music. They're not easy because they require so many calculations. There are examples of Physics EE's on this website though.

There are IB subjects that are usually not offered in most schools, like World Religions and Peace and Conflict Studies which you can also write an EE on. Your EE doesn't have to be on a subject that you take in IB, but it's recommended that it is. It would make it difficult to write an essay that fits the criteria if you haven't learned the relevant theories, for example in psychology or in economics.

Economics EE's are also quite hard, the terminology and vocabulary are complicated.

To be honest, I don't think Math and the Sciences are the hardest.

It is a common misconception since math and sciences are the hardest [i]subjects[/i]. How often have you gotten stuck on what to write for an English commentary or history analysis. How often do you get stuck on writing a science experiment?

For the sciences you have to do something experimental. Just write an extended write-up.

Maths is the same. Consider it as another maths portfolio. Plus, because so less people do the extended essay in maths, you don't even have to reach the word count, which is something like 4000 words or something?

Maths and sciences have a clear structure and aim, the other "easy" subjects are vague and a lot of people do them so the examiner will have marked many of the same types of essays which would give you unneccessary competition.

Easiest I would say would be English because there is no 'right' and 'wrong' answer like the others.

Hardest Math i would say just because I lack the skills and it seems that no one does it on that.

Btw Cathy its a bit early to start thinking about this, relax and enjoy the first year of your IB at K*****N its fun, as long as you keep on task.

[quote name='drewrow' post='30394' date='Dec 16 2008, 01:02 PM']Easiest I would say would be English because there is no 'right' and 'wrong' answer like the others.

Hardest Math i would say just because I lack the skills and it seems that no one does it on that.

Btw Cathy its a bit early to start thinking about this, relax and enjoy the first year of your IB at K*****N its fun, as long as you keep on task.[/quote]

:) If you're gonna mention Misty's name, then why not mention the school that you go to? It's Kristin College, I know that and I don't even live in NZ :)

If a stalker would want to know the name of the school, they'd google IB Schools in NZ, and since you've already given the first and last letters of your school, they'd find it no problems :help:

[quote name='lindieeluieee' post='30351' date='Dec 16 2008, 01:54 AM']Maths is the same. Consider it as another maths portfolio. Plus, because so less people do the extended essay in maths, you don't even have to reach the word count, which is something like 4000 words or something?[/quote]
I would rather do another Historical Investigations than a math portfolio, honestly...

• 13 years later...
On 12/12/2008 at 3:10 PM, Stereoisomer said:

What is,
in your opinion the "easiest" and the "hardest" subject/s to do an EE on?

I know that different students are good at different subject fields. But I want to hear what you think:) http://www.ibsurvival.com/public/style_emoticons/

Thanks

It truly depends on what you are passionate about. When you like a subject, you'll find it easier. For me, history and economics are rather difficult for me, partly because there's just so many facts and concepts.

Since I'm passionate about maths and science, I tend to have this sense of knowing about it with ease. Which means I can come up with many ideas on the EE. How I framed such ideas into topics and research questions are another matter. I will say this: framing a research question of ANY subjects for EE will be the most challenging, considering that the original chosen idea may not interest you enough. In the end, try not to complicate yourself because the EE is not a thesis paper on groundbreaking ideas, but rather how we use the knowledge and how do we turn such knowledge into arguments with evidence from primary and reliable secondary sources.