argh the teachers think I suck.

uummmdonuts1

OK basically i'm panicing. I though I was doing pretty well and I've been getting 6's and 7's on all my essays in History, 5's or 6's in english and 6's on all the science test's and stuff and erghhh, just got my report, and they've all said im going to get like 5's or 4's. What?!

are they right? i'm aiming for 6's and 7's and I've been doing pretty well so I don't get it.

Also, that's my marks fior the pieces of work, in lessons i don't say muhc i'm quiet i just listen, and if I have ideas, like in English, i write it on my notes or use it in Essay's, I don't feel the need to have the teacher justify it. Could it be my lack of talkyness that makes them think i'm doing crap :/

aaaaaaah teachers

They did the same for GCSE, everyone thought i was doing crap when i thought i was like A*/A, and I got the marks i wanted in the end... but... ergh

I've really been trying this year and I'm just pissed they don't recognise it.

Also, they've given people I KNOW are doing worse than me higher marks, like 6's and 7's even though in work they'll won't get that.

ergh

i Know this is a little bit rantish but... what's going on

ergh

screw IB

i'm gonna go work as a zookeeper. That'd just be cool, and when i have my onw TV show and i'm world renowned then the teachers will just be like ah, maybe we got her wrong, i though she was a spaz, turns out that's me. [=

Well, I hate to say it but being on good terms with your teachers is an important part of predicted grades. In English, your teachers, armed only with a few written assignments and your world lit paper, have to judge your ability to take a piece of unknown litterature on comment on it, as well as your ability to formulate an essay quickly and effectively. Unless you take an active role in the class, they have no way of knowing how bright you are, and, being the IB teachers they are, tend to think you're less capable, regardless of your actual ability.

Anyways, don't let a crappy set of predicted ruin your chances. Your real marks are what matters, and although this may hurt your chances of early admission, it eventually gets replaced entirely.

Sometimes teachers lowball predicted marks because it's better to end up doing better than you were predicted than to do worse. It reflects badly on the school if the teachers predict you all 6's and 7's because in reality, sometimes people just blank out during an exam and do poorly.

I got lowballed marks in chemistry and economics..I had a 95 in economics and 96 in chemistry BEFORE translation and the teachers predicted me 6's in both. I wasn't pleased because they clearly lowballed my marks..and I ended up getting 7's in both subjects anyways. Don't let this get you down because there isn't really anything you can do, and if you think about it, you can kind of understand the reason why the teachers would rather lowball predicteds.

what i would do is go up to the teacher and ask them why im getting a 5 when i got 3 sevens in my last three history essays and compare your marks with the other kids. dont sound too angry, just ask as if you genuinely want to know so that you can improve. If the teacher doesnt give u a straight answer just swear at him/her. just joking.

do your report cards have a comments section? if so read them (thats the most important part of the report; the grade doesn't cont for anything unless you want to study in the us) Remember there are some teachers who don't like giving 7's at the start of the year and the grade on the report card is not a prediction for what you are gonna get in the IB exams. I agree with JAYT just ask them politely how you can improve, even if they don't give you any thing workable, they will probably put your mark up (next time) just for seeming motivated.

My teachers refuse to give out 7's, or even 6's. They say that a school will be monitored after score disparity is astronomically high. Lol, in this case a range of 1-7 though.

If they predict realistically, there should be no problem with disparity between predicteds and actual final scores. Our school generally underpredicts, but I think our average aggregate predicted is still 36 points or so. Then again, the reason for the underprediction lies in the fact that IB students in general are (should) marked with final exam grade boundaries, but we generally study a lot less for mocks because there is no study break before the mocks like there is before the final exams. Revising for a month really gives you the chance to raise your grades.

• 2 months later...

If the last year to go through the IB crashed out and did really badly, that might be the cause?

Teachers need to try to get their predictions bang-on.. it's also true that in some subjects your grades will get worse as it goes along, really depends on the topics you've done so far. So often they underestimate for that, too.

Or of course they might just have some secret personal vendetta! Accidentally close the door in anybody's face lately? :D

Just to throw in my experience.. I hardly worked at all and pretty didn't go to class much (50% attendance or something) so my teachers predicted me about a 30 or something.. Ended up with 42. Don't worry too much about predictions if you think they are bad.. Worst comes to the worst, you'll have to take a gap year so you can apply to Uni with your real marks :D .

• Like 1

To Graeme from above, WHOA, did you end up hardcore cramming or something? :( I'm amazed.

And to the OP, I think you should try talking to your IB coordinator. It's surprising to hear that ALL your teachers are underestimating you in such a grave way. I mean, a one point discrepancy seems to be reasonable but a two or even three point discrepancy is pretty big and may negatively affect you in your uni apps. So yeah, I would definitely talk to your IB coordinator.

A significant percentage of my teachers do this as well- I think it just really depends on the teacher you get, and mainly whether they like you or not (this can go either way), and their general principles. Just do what you did with your GCSEs and don't let the predicted grades get to you OR do let them affect you and channel it positively- allow it to motivate you.

the zookeeper idea doesnt seem too bad though. :P