[Need Advice!] IB School Won't Let Me Take Exams

Kai_Harry

Wtf do I do?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Wtf do I do?

• If my parents get the money, pay the due fees, go back and just have fun, waste my time in useless classes and have fun, occasionally studying by myself
    • If my parents get the money, pay the due fees and drop out, wait until I'm 18 get a job, save up to register a company and do what I really want to do
    • If I miss the date, pay the fees, spend hundreds on books and printing costs, start second year next year
    • If I miss the date, pay the fees, waste my time at home, and start second year next year
    • If I miss the date, pay the fees, drop out and follow choice 2

I need your advice on this one guys, here's the somewhat summarized story:

So I went to this IB school abroad for a year and came back home for the summer, turns out my parents ran out of money and now I've been out of school for 3 months and I'm still back home. IA's started about a month and a half ago and I was working on my history IA from home, Biology IA started and after talking to the teacher he told me the coordinator told him that I'm not allowed to work on them from home because of the "academic honesty" policy, they then asked my parents to give them another date; they did, and it's in 20 days, the school said that's the final delay date I can have and that if I don't get there by then I'm out and have to take 2nd year next year. I highly doubt my parents can can renew my visa, do what I need to do and get on a plane within that period of time, so I feel like the end is just inevitable. The thing is, now I feel like I've completely lost a chance at anything. I'm done, it's over...what's the point now?

I recently got a message saying that even if I go over there on the final date I'm still not allowed to take the exams and I'll just be a "normal" student and will have to start my 2nd year next year anyways...what do I do? Go there anyway and waste my time? The teachers don't teach anything useful for the exams except for maybe 2-3, and even then they can't cover as much as independent studying could because of how big the class is. Aren't I better off spending hundreds of dollars and ordering the books myself and paying for the ridiculous shipping fee's and paying someone to let me print out all the past papers and just studying by myself at home? Then comes the issue of how stressful life is back home, it's nearly impossible to keep focus without something happening, or get distracted by all the different things to do, or procrastinate and cry myself to sleep because of how messed up everything is.

Whoah, sounds rough!  Have you thought of doing online courses, with Pamoja, for example? I am not sure if they offer ALL courses yet, but it just may allow you to conveniently work on (and get credit) for courses in the meanwhile, if you don't sort out your school thing this year. Can you not just join a local IB, where you are? They r free in Scandinavia, aren't they? I see your Norwegian flag, so assume you have them all around you.

20 minutes ago, voh26 said:

Whoah, sounds rough!  Have you thought of doing online courses, with Pamoja, for example? I am not sure if they offer ALL courses yet, but it just may allow you to conveniently work on (and get credit) for courses in the meanwhile, if you don't sort out your school thing this year. Can you not just join a local IB, where you are? They r free in Scandinavia, aren't they? I see your Norwegian flag, so assume you have them all around you.

Only way I can get grades at my school is with the IA and internal things but they won't let me do that, and I'm not currently in Norway, hence the "renewing my visa and get on a plane" part; I'm back in the 3rd world. Also, in Norway there aren't any free IB schools for international students, however, when compared to Egypt (where I'm at) it's in fact cheaper to fly over there than pay the tuition fee's for attending at one of them ($25-38 thousand) and the living and apartment rental costs of moving to the city where they're at, compared to the low relocation, living and tuition cost in Norway of around $15k for 1 year.

Edited by Kai_Harry

Aya.... OK, I see. Well it looks like you don't have much choice, then. You'll have to wait then for everything to be sorted out. It may mean doing your second year next year, which seems your best bet. In the meanwhile, just keep busy, look into doing some Pamoja courses and study the curriculum. Do you *have* to study in Norway or can you not find something more conveniently within range?

I'm sorry to hear about this. As tough as this sounds, try no too worry about it too much. It's natural to be preoccupied by it, but it's not your fault and you don't have control over the situation. Doing IB isn't the be all, end all. I did IB and nobody gives a damn that I did. Heck, even if you're a Rhodes Scholar, people will judge you for how you treat them, not by some academic award that allegedly signals your intelligence. (They'll also judge you based on your race, class, social status, appearance, etc. but trust me–nobody will care about the IB ;)) Whatever path you take, just do your best and try to learn. If you that, you'll do great, regardless of what you do or where you go. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, voh26 said:

Aya.... OK, I see. Well it looks like you don't have much choice, then. You'll have to wait then for everything to be sorted out. It may mean doing your second year next year, which seems your best bet. In the meanwhile, just keep busy, look into doing some Pamoja courses and study the curriculum. Do you *have* to study in Norway or can you not find something more conveniently within range?

To answer the question, no I don't, although before I went to the IB I did have very bad grades and came from a not so glamorous area but because I'm only 1/8th Egyptian (even though I was born here) and they understood my situation they accepted me because they saw I wasn't your typical D+ student, so in a way I feel like I'm stuck to that school, even though it's the only IB school I applied to I still feel like no other would accept me. However since I have a decent e IB report card from the Norwegian school and I'm turning 18 next year I was thinking of just applying and going to an IB school in the U.S (since that's where I want to study and am a citizen of) and consider re-taking not only 2nd year but 1st year as well since they have proper establishments and might actually allow me to take the subjects I want that I couldn't get like Psychology, Philosophy, Econ and SL Math (was prev. studies) instead of the Bio, History, English, Math Studies, B&M, and Norwegian B that I'm currently taking

I was originally going to go study in the UK but after researching the culture and talking to my aunt that was born / raised there I decided against it because to me personally it seems like a dangerous place to be with all the terrorist attacks and crime rates sparking, and environments like that (to me) are de-motivating.

I could just go to the IB schools in the capital, however, $25-38 thousand dollars a year tuition fees, and not even counting the apartment rental and living costs of moving to the main city is literally around the tuition / living cost fees for Ivy League universities, so I'd rather save that money for the future instead of dump it in some sub-par North East African school, sounds harsh, but that's just the way it is over here, quality education isn't affordable, and anything that is is just not worth going to, it's literally cheaper to fly to another country and have it there hahaha. Most of the kids that go to the expensive schools don't pay for them, their parent's employers covers the fees, and they're usually embassies of country's because that's usually who they work for, I used to go to them ages ago, but since I moved cities and went through economical issues I couldn't afford to go them anymore, and I was going to a really ****ty one here  and I had a ton of personal issues at home and just dealing with the culture I didn't fit in with, which is why I decided to go to the "happiest country in the world" to go through the IB system that might give me a proper chance even if it's just one of the local universities over there, because in comparison that's way more valuable than anything over here lmao.

32 minutes ago, Nomenclature said:

I'm sorry to hear about this. As tough as this sounds, try no too worry about it too much. It's natural to be preoccupied by it, but it's not your fault and you don't have control over the situation. Doing IB isn't the be all, end all. I did IB and nobody gives a damn that I did. Heck, even if you're a Rhodes Scholar, people will judge you for how you treat them, not by some academic award that allegedly signals your intelligence. (They'll also judge you based on your race, class, social status, appearance, etc. but trust me–nobody will care about the IB ;)) Whatever path you take, just do your best and try to learn. If you that, you'll do great, regardless of what you do or where you go. 

Thank you, and right, I get what you mean, honestly I'm just going through the IB so I can actually get in an actual non-3rd world college / uni so I can finish my standard education and go on to doing what I really want, because the things I really want to do don't require the formal education system, I can learn them on my own, though I don't want to disappoint my parents or face heavy criticism from society because I didn't want to conform to the way others go through life, and having friends your age helps a lot with just living in general

Bump? I really need help, I don't know what to do, I feel like dropping out, signing up for the university of missouri's online accredited high school degree program and working on my business ideas and passion projects at home, I've completely lost all motivation to study or do anything productive even if I go back at all anymore, and the school I'm going to isn't even that good, it's really bad compared to the ones in the capital, I feel like I'd rather switch schools since I'm going to repeat the year

Poll vote's in a tie between:

• If I miss the date, pay the fees, spend hundreds on books and printing costs, start second year next year

and 

• If I miss the date, pay the fees, waste my time at home, and start second year next year"
Edited by Kai_Harry