Study during summer and winter holidays

happy sun

Definitely a mix of both. For the first week, relax. You need to. Go party. Whatever.

Second week. Study. IB is though, if you don't study you'll die. The mock exams and or exams are close at hand. Time is very valuable.

Third week. Do a mixture of both. If you feel you've done enough. Stop. If not, do more work.

Sorry, I don't know how long your vacation is. Mine is 3 weeks.

So the sun is shining, the whales are outside my window in New Zealand. Despite the beauty and the weather the nagging of homework and assingments are killing me. Im not a realist and at the start of the holidays said " Im going to finish EVERYTHING". I dont think my sub-concious knows the difference because now every second of relaxation this nagging voice( I kinda feel like a schizophrenic ) is saying DO THE IB Homework.

The list to do:

Business EE

Finish WL Essay 1

Business IA

Geography IA

English (4) texts to read

Geography Homework

Chinese study

Does anyone else feel the nag, the nag of IB. The state of mind called dwelling on IB and its intense pressure.....any tips?

Im going into IB2 btw.

drewrow

Well, I dont have summer, but I do have my winter break coming up. And I feel ya. This is my list:

1. complete 3 online classes in the time given :help:

2. SAT & ACT study

3. Get faaar ahead of chem

4. history study

5. TOK IA

6. English IA: preliminary work

7. Practice languages

If there is any advice that I would give u its remind yourself what its like to be in a crunch, and then get a pot of coffee and start some of those assignments.

Well, I dont have summer, but I do have my winter break coming up. And I feel ya. This is my list:

1. complete 3 online classes in the time given :help:

2. SAT & ACT study

3. Get faaar ahead of chem

4. history study

5. TOK IA

6. English IA: preliminary work

7. Practice languages

If there is any advice that I would give u its remind yourself what its like to be in a crunch, and then get a pot of coffee and start some of those assignments.

Are you in your first year? if soo lucky!

You should give yourself a "due date" for everything, so that you might work like crazy for that time, but then you have the whole summer ahead of you to do whatever... I find it better to first complete all the work and then relax, because I can't fully relax if I know that there's stuff that is due.

Sooo coffee at hand, work until everything's done and then just enjoy your summer! You'll find it so much better if you're not thinking about the EE and things like that while you're at the beach!

Over the holiday between IB1 and IB2 I also found myself buried beneath a huge pile of potential work. (Admittedly, it definitely wasn't as big as your list!) What I felt helped me was to take away -all- the things that weren't extremely necessary from the "this must be done before half the summer is gone" pile, and just save them for later. Everything that wouldn't cause me troubles to not have finished by the end of summer, I decided not to do in the first half of summer and only to do if I actually felt like it later. So instead of having a list of "have to" and "should", I kept only the "definitely have to" stuff: that way I didn't have to feel super bad for not having had the energy to do everything, but I would also be on a good level when I got back to school.

I did stress the last week before the term started, though, because I hadn't actually done any work from the "should" pile and I thought I'd be extremely behind. But then I came to school and practically nobody had actually done anything over the summer anyway, so I was actually far ahead.

So: Prioritise!

The Extended Essay is really important, and I suggest you try your best to have as complete a draft as possible to hand in to your supervisor immediately when term starts. But most IAs and things like that aren't the end of the world to complete right now anyway; as long as you know how to plan your time during term time, having some of it left by the end of summer won't kill you.

Do try to relax, and good luck, and have a nice summer!

what is important to consider when you are supposed to decide upon, to work or not in the christmas break is , WHICH subjects do you got? By God standing beside me, I strongly recomend people having HL math , HL phys and HL chem to do some thing valuble in the vication, you others doing history or art , or in other words the easy subjects, please have a wounderful victation.... Personally I am going to do some math, and maybe rep. some chem and phys , and read 3 books in conection to the IB....

what is important to consider when you are supposed to decide upon, to work or not in the christmas break is , WHICH subjects do you got? By God standing beside me, I strongly recomend people having HL math , HL phys and HL chem to do some thing valuble in the vication, you others doing history or art , or in other words the easy subjects, please have a wounderful victation.... Personally I am going to do some math, and maybe rep. some chem and phys , and read 3 books in conection to the IB....

Art isn't an easy subject. It's very demanding and so is History HL, honestly. THe amount of things I have to read and outline is unbelievable.

Art isn't an easy subject. It's very demanding and so is History HL, honestly. THe amount of things I have to read and outline is unbelievable.

Yes the terms "easy " is indeed subjective, however saying that you have to work the same amount of hours in physics as in history is just silly. The subjects are on different planets...

Umm, I am doing HL chem and I find the HL stuff WAY easier than the SL. But it all depends on where your strengths and weaknesses are. There are the phys/math/chem people and the art/history/english people (to massively generalize) -- and then there are those people you want to kill who can do everything. I have one of those people in most of my classes, and in the holidays she calls me and stresses me out with how much work she has done. I got so stressed in the august/september holidays that I summarized all the HL and SL biology syllabus points that we had done that year. And HOW it helped! I understood so much! At the end of your first year, I recommend going through your syllabi and making sure you understand every point. Remember first and second year count so you want to have the work for the first year all neatly condensed so that you don't go crazy with two years of unfinished work come exam time.

BUT RELAX AS WELL! I recommend half and half. You can have a life while in the IB (shock horror) as long as you stay on top of your work. And don't study in a place you don't want to be. Study in a place you feel happy -- it's much more conducive to effective learning. I sit in my backyard. Whatever works for you. Study as if you are on holiday (because, let's face it, YOU ARE. Enjoy it!).

Sermon over.