For bookworms and bibliophiles...

Afterglow

So there was a Harry Potter thread and as much as I LOVE those books (my absolute favourite) I also love other books and thought it would be fun to create a thread for it.

Do you consider yourself as a bookworm/bibliophile? What are your favourite books? Least favourite? Any books you think everyone should read? What kind of books do you prefer? What was the last books you read and are you currently reading something? Post everything here :P

I am myself a huge fan of books. My bookcases are filled with novels that I have still yet to read because of time. My favourites (beside Harry Potter...) are; the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austenm Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and then several books by Paulo Coelho. I usually read anything as long as it is actually a good book with a good plot and writing. I do prefer books with hint of romance, deep messages/thoughts or fantasty.

I just finished Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad which was dreadful. Had to read it for English. We will soon start on Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga for English and The Dwarf by Pär Lagerkvist in Swedish. There are also sooo many books that I wish to read but can't due to time.

Well as for me, I just love reading when I have the time and in the mood for it. One novel I adore is "Chocolat" by Joanne Harris, famous for its motion picture. It's just a beautiful novel that moves your senses - especially if you're a fan of chocolate :P . I also like Paulo Coelho's books - two words, fan tastic :lol: . The Devil and Miss Prym - beautiful, The Alchemist, The Fifth Mountain - mesmerising and just awesome. I also like "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "My Story" (Dave Pelzer's Trilogy) - Outstanding. I also like Agatha Christie's novels and short stories.. :P

wow quite a few coelho fans here :P

aqua what did you like about the fifth mountain? I mean I'm a very big fan of coelho (you should've seen me when rumors were going around about him visiting petra, and that he was going to come for a signing in one of the bookshops in amman... of course they weren't true :lol: ) anyway I found it utterly boring :P it's the only one of his that I read so far which I didn't like! lol

I do consider myself a bookworm as well, the HPs used to be my favorites up to the point where I unfortunatley lost interest in fiction novels :lol: I started reading Eragon in august and I haven't passed page 80 by now :P I get bored when I read that kind of magical fiction now! it was the same with HP7... I just got myself to finish it because I wanted to know how it ended! (mind you I skipped a few chapters :lol: )

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austenm Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and then several books by Paulo Coelho. I usually read anything as long as it is actually a good book with a good plot and writing. I do prefer books with hint of romance, deep messages/thoughts or fantasty.

hehe..same with me...i liked pride and prejudice too. I wanted to read Conte of Mount Cristo over the summer, but i couldn't get to it...sigh..it's a really long fiction...fabulous book from what I heard from many classic fans..conspiracies, adventures, and as well as "some hint of romance".

Oh Oh Oh Oh!!! My kind of thread!!!!!!!

I :P books. I :P bookshopping. I would buy everything in a bookshop if I had the money. Actually I was at the uni bookshop yesterday and had to resist the urge to buy something (they had a Spring sale - 50% off). I wanted to buy Chocolat so much but I kind of can't spare money for books right now as I'm broke (well, I will be after I pay rent in about 2 weeks - see avatar if you know Viet).

I have waaay too many favourite books. :lol:

But I love Austen (still can't get through Emma though. For some reason, I just can't read past 20 pages...). First Austen I read was Sense and Sensibility actually. But my favourite 3 Austen would have to be P&P, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.

I hate Heart of Darkness. My English teacher will be so disappointed in me if he knew I never read it fully. I read about the first 20 pages and then just gave up. For a book that's only 100 pages long, I could not read it. It's not my kind of book and I can't understand Conrad's writing. But then I have friends who love the book...

The Handmaid's Tale is really good. So is Memoirs of a Geisha (the movie was...not great. Zhang Zi Yi should stick to Chinese movies).

The last book I read was Perfume which I enjoyed, despite the middle which dragged for too long. Now I'm reading Norwegian Wood but not getting far with it since I'm so busy right now. Next on my reading lists are:

- The Tenth Circle - Jodi Picolt

- The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Speaking of Picolt, I loved her My Sister's Keeper. It made me cry. And gave me 18/20 for my TOK presentation so that was cool. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Had to revive this dusty wonderful thread.

So, I've spent a great deal of time in the library studying and I keep find myself distracted by books that catches my attention and books I want to read. Everday I put a book on the table, determine to borrow it by the end of the day, only to return it back since I know I won't have time to read it anyway :S

I want to read right now Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Anyone read it?

Oh and a bit off-topic but being the HP dork that I am, pssssst, Hien, Ginny's eyes are brown, not blue :S

Oh and a bit off-topic but being the HP dork that I am, pssssst, Hien, Ginny's eyes are brown, not blue wink.gif

:S I know. I didn't make the banner. Bonnie's eyes are blue. I guess it's harder to make sparkly brown eyes. :P It was just too pretty to not use.

The only books I've read lately are my text books. Though, mind you, the stuff I'm reading now about communication is really interesting. :S

My FAVOURITE book is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I LOVE that book! =D! Other books that I really like, while a bit childish, are Black Beauty and Charlotte's Webb.

Well... I like Captain Underpants and Super Fudge. Two of the best books I've ever read in elementary school!! :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Novelizations are always fun to read, for me at least, like spiderman and batman, or any hollywood film made into a novel.

gotta agree with HMSChocolate, I would buy Chapters or Borders, or all the books in them if i could. Having a book is different than owning any other kind of material object because it inspires so much and makes us think (duh?): i mean, how many people do you hear say "Wow! That jacket effectively illicits the monotony of the human condition while commenting on the afflictions undertaken in order to acclimatize any unknown situation or circumstance into something routine and adaptable, plus i like the polka dots!" Well, maybe the polka dots part....but, you get what i mean right?

(note: ((in true IB fashion)) the book referenced was Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis, not that I like it, but we're doing it in A1 English right now... Absolutely PAINFUL! ><")

Guest PollyPeptide

I love reading. In middle school and the beginning of junior high I read about three to five books a week.

It's so sad that after I started IB, I read as little as once a week (and now this is non-school related books). But it's like when I'm already reading so much for school, I don't really want to continue reading on those rare occasions when there isn't any homework to do. Reading isn't the preferred way of relaxing anymore.. It was before, but not after IB. Sad but true :P

I still enjoy books immensely though. We're doing Things fall apart in English right now.. It's quite a good book, although some sentences make me laugh out loud.

Guest PollyPeptide
the great gatsby is my all time fav (along with harry potter :P )

were now reading "handmaids tale" and i must say..i find it very interesting so far....oh and i also like it as margaret atwood is canadian :D what can i say im very patriotic =P

I wanted to study that book in English, but apparently it's too advanced for English B or something :D Which I don't get, since we've done the same books as A1 and A2 so far and there doesn't seem to be any problems with that.

I wanted to study that book in English, but apparently it's too advanced for English B or something :D Which I don't get, since we've done the same books as A1 and A2 so far and there doesn't seem to be any problems with that.

Language-wise it's not advanced at all but in fact one of the easiest novels I've read in A2. As a lit analysis however - corr, there is a lot of stuff in there to talk about... :P

Reading! :P I honestly don't think I could live without it!

Pre-IB, I would just swallow books whole, usually fantasy. I don't have as much time, now, but I do have a bad habit of sneaking sections of my favorite books at night sometimes :D

My favorites are Pride and Prejudice, Abarat books by Clive Barker, Once and Future King, James Herriot books... I've only read one Coelho book, The Alchemist (he seems to be popular here) and I absolutely loved it.

I do have to say that since I've started high school, especially IB, I've started looking at books a bit differently than before. It has set standards for what I hope to find in a book, though sometimes this gets in the way when I'm doing an easy read that isn't so deep or literary!

Has anybody else noticed, though, that they are much better at predicting what will happen in books since they've been in IB? I guess it's because we get used to seeing patterns and looking at characters more deeply?

Guest PollyPeptide
Language-wise it's not advanced at all but in fact one of the easiest novels I've read in A2. As a lit analysis however - corr, there is a lot of stuff in there to talk about... XD

Haha well, we're English B, we don't do complicated stuff like literature analysis :P The most we'd do would be like.. discussing the characters or something.