For bookworms and bibliophiles...

Afterglow

Ah. I've been wanting to read or see it but I'm too much of a chicken. I don't dare lol. It's just that the theme is a kind of theme I am very sensitive too.

Not...really...What themes are you talking about?

I mean, it's not explicit or anything. You really should read it. It's a really good book. :lol: If you want "sensitive themes" you should try Norwegian Wood... :blush:

Yeah I have read memoirs of a geisha. I thought it was brilliant. I agree that it does a better job of representing the life of a geisha, mainly because it has the ability to highlight specifically the little details that build to make-up the layers of the geisha. But the film was brilliant for just the visual spectical of the Japanese gardens and tea houses.

Guest iber2468
for me its the riviting works of michal cricton, phillip pullman, shakespear, carl sagan and lemony snicket

I'm gonna read philip pullman + michael creighton during the winter break. Just watched Golden compass in theatres and it was pretty good.

I'm not a personal fan of Pride and Prejudice, but I can't give a valid opinion, because I never finished it...

I absolutely adored Memoirs of a Geisha... I enjoyed the movie too, but I found I had to detach it from the actual book to appreciate it. My all time favourite book is "Snowflower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. It's about 19th century China in the footbinding days. I read during a flight- bad idea. I was burying my head into the window so that nobody would see my bawling...! I recommend it to everybody I talk to!

One of my least favourite books is "The Memory Keeper's Diary"... Again, I didn't finish it, but from what I read, I found it entirely dull, melodramatic, and depressing.

I recieved "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak and "The Penelopiad" by Margaret Atwood for Christmas, and I can't wait to read them!

• 4 months later...
Guest syrianstar

I do consider myself a bookworm....and I'm proud to be one B)

I love to read almost anything, althoug I have come across some books that are boring beyond anthing. I've probably started Jane Eyre about 3 times already and I have never got anywhere near finishing it!)

It's nice to see so may Harry Potter fans here! Not many people I know make fun of it because they consider it a children's book; but I think it's amazing, especialy Deathly Hallows :P

There's so many books I like and some have already been written here like memoirs of a Geisha, Jane Austen. There's also Julia Quinn, Paul Coelho (I hope I spelt his name right :lol: ) and Meg Cabot. I've just finished reading The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hossein and those novels were abolutely AMAZING :D . If you want a good read, I would definitely recommend these :D

wow i never knew so many bookworms existed until recently i was the only bookworm in my school lol! but i have also taken a keen interest in reading non-fiction books such as the Autobiography of Malcolm X (a must read for all you people out there i am serious it is THE most enlightening and amazing book i have ever read), Three Cups of Tea, and Enemy Combatant. I also love Paulo Coelho's books, they are amazingly enlightening and touching (especially By the River Piedra I Sat and Wept!) Dan Brown's books are also realyl good but a bit confusing lol =P and no one can argue about Harry Potter lol its so sad that it finished though! =(

heey

a really really really really really really long time ago i used to be a bookworm, but i stopped for while and started again a while ago!!!

anyone who hasn't read th kite runner by khalid hosseini should read it its the most amazing book, when you start you cant put the book down......my friend had the book and everyone wanted to read it so there is a waiting list on the book...and the same thing applies to his other book a thousand splendid suns which is with somone in class and ill read it soon!!

BOOKS!!! I LOVE BOOKS!!!

:D Okay, now that that's over with, ahem. I used to read a lot more before IB when I had hours of free time and nothing to engage my mind with. Now I just started to read like old times (never without a book) cause one of my friends got me hooked on the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodking. It's a great read, I'm usually not a big fan of fantasy but these are the type of books that captivate your mind and get you personally connected with the characters - which is what I always look for in a good book (not literary terms, fancy language, or symbolic meaning).

Nice thread!

I'm kind of a bookworm too, before I became an IB student I used to read a whole lot, however now I usually don't have time for that many books apart from those used in school; Swedish A1, English A2 and German B.

I'm not fond of the question "What is your favourite book?", because I cannot simply answer that one. I kind of have a bunch of works which I really like, including, among others, The House of the Spirits by Allende and Unknown Soldier by Väinö Linna. I like books with rich and detailed language and many strong characters, however, it's rare, very rare, for me to re-read even the best of books.

Least favourites? Hm.. well, one book that I really couldn't get through was Lord of the Flies, and I kind of dislike Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings too, I just don't like the way she writes and that's a shame when the book's theme is really interesting. Moreover, I'm not a huge fan of Harry Potter.

Currently I'm reading Pride and Prejudice over and over again for my EE and I will soon start reading Romeo and Juliet in English A2 and "Doctor Glas" by Hjalmar Söderberg in Swedish A1. I've heard that Doctor Glas should be really good, nevertheless my taste usually don't go in the same lines as others'.

I love the HP series, Series of Unfortunate Events, Narnia series, Angels and Demons, Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Lovely Bones, Five People You Meet in Heaven, Life of Pi, His Dark Materials series (The Golden Compass/Northern Lights, etc).

Nicholas Sparks' books (The Notebook, Walk to Remember, Dear John, etc) are my guilty pleasure. I cry like a baby over them.

• Like 1

Nicholas Sparks' books (The Notebook, Walk to Remember, Dear John, etc) are my guilty pleasure. I cry like a baby over them.

oh yes i absolutely love his books! thay are amazingly touching! you cant help but cry when you read them!! have you read message in a bottle? i heard it was really good but i dont have time to read anymore!

oh yes i absolutely love his books! thay are amazingly touching! you cant help but cry when you read them!! have you read message in a bottle? i heard it was really good but i dont have time to read anymore!

I've read all of them lol :D . Including the one that came out just last year, The Choice.