For bookworms and bibliophiles...

Afterglow

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that I'm also a bookworm and almost always I'm reading some book, was it for school or just for fun.

My all time favourite is The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, and that propably tells already that I'm kinda fantasy freak. :P I like all that Tolkien has written, because I like to see Tolkien as the father of fantasy literature. Especially I like all the cultures he created and how deep they are.

Other book types that belong to my favourites are books with some kind of historical setting. I'm actually quite fond of the Viking sagas, myths and poetry.

Lately I've read only books for school, since I haven't had any time to anything else. But actually I enjoy some of them. For example I just love Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk and Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Especially I like TFA, because its topic and the story itself. I can't understand why so many in my class almost hate TFA, but, of course, it's their opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

The last few months I have been reading the book serie The Wheel of Time written by Robert Jordan. It is fantasy litrature, you can probalbly think of it as a mixture of Lord of the rings and Narnia somehow. The serie consists of 12 books , which are all fairly long , I would guess an avrage of 800 pages. These books are so legendary, it is hard to understand how tobert jordan manages to write these books.... I strongly recomend everybody to ready these books, they are created with a magic touch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i LOVE reading- too bad the IB doesn't let me.

i like all genres: mangas, non-fictions, fictions...etc

if its literature you are talking about, then Jane Austen, L.M. Montgomery, Charles ****ens, the Brontes , Louisa May Alcott and enid blyton have to go on the list!!!!!!!!!

OH and so does Patrick Suskind's 'perfume'!

'Howls moving castle' and 'the secret countess' are nice as calming, simple reads too.

Books i hate, well.. i didn't hate them, but Sally Morgan's my place almost sent me to sleep, 'Gormenhurst' was pretty pointless....

BUT overall, all books are wonderful!

POTTER!

best series ever, i didn't buy that twilight stuff (the movie was already a substantial source of entertainment = robert pattinson (?)'s facial expressions *smirk)

and i'm referring to the books here, didn't really like any of the movies except the first one

i haven't really had time to go and have a look at all the newly released books D:

still have to read of mice and men and the outsiders for english A1 so i guess reading for personal enjoyment is out of the question ><;

I'd have to go with Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" 1-7. I really enjoyed these books. I read up on his " 'Salems Lot" mas well, and I found it pretty good too. Not really many books I've had that kind of experience with. I've been mainly reading fantasy (such as Dragonlance), but I'm not really into that right now. Maybe some other time I'll start up reading fantasy again...

I'm always reading something and right now I'm reading an essay collection named "Politi og Anarki" (Norwegian; meaning Police and Anarchy) by Jens Bjørneboe. I'm mainly reading it because I like the writer and we read a book of him in Norwegian A1.

Edited by Carsarefood

OMG!! I love you guys soo much! I get so excited when I find people who love to read books! I love it even more when people like the same books that I do!

Harry Potter rocked my world! But Twilight is also really awesome.... in a different way. Its doesn't have as much substance as Harry Potter but it is still crazy addictive.

More of the ones already mentioned: Great Gatsby, Memoirs of a Geisha, His Dark Materials, The Chronicles of Narnia, Eragon Series, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Kite Runner, Pride and Prejudice, anything Chuck Palaniuk

Also LOOOVE: To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, The Good Earth, This Lullaby, The Giver, Stargirl, Crank, Atonement, A Wrinkle in Time, Holes, The Da Vinci Code, The Hunger Games, Leaves of Grass, A Separate Peace, The Glass Castle, The Anthem, The Fountainhead.... and probably a few more that I can't think off at the top of my head.

I have never heard of Paoulo Coelo. Is he a really good author? I need something good to read right now.

I'm going through the Sisterhood of the traveling pants series now. They're chicklits I guess :ashika: but really refreshing after diving headfirst into Twilight and coming out wanting to kill myself. :D

I think I might give Meyer one last chance by reading The Host though to be honest not too excited about it. :P

I think I just found heaven. It's basically an online library of ebooks. You need an account to download though. http://www.thuvien-ebook.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10902

Everyone MUST read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

It's just so beautifully written and made me want to go to Hungary and Romania. It is a very beautiful book..

I love reading, books and all that sort of stuff :ashika: I can't really pinpoint my favourite book but I do love A Great and Terrible Beauty Series, Animal Farm, The Girl Who Played Go, Grotesque, Harry Potter series, Therese Raquin, Jane Eyre and now The Historian.

I can't wait to get started on Interview with a Vampire though and I asked my english teacher if she could get me Dracula. I'm kind of obsessed with vampires at the moment. NOT the sparkley ones ofcourse...

I love reading, books and all that sort of stuff :ashika: I can't really pinpoint my favourite book but I do love A Great and Terrible Beauty Series, Animal Farm, The Girl Who Played Go, Grotesque, Harry Potter series, Therese Raquin, Jane Eyre and now The Historian.

Yay! I read the "Great and Terrible Series" too! I haven't read the newest one though. What did you think of it?

Yay! I read the "Great and Terrible Series" too! I haven't read the newest one though. What did you think of it?

You have to read the 3rd one! It's the best out of the bunch! It's really good. I think A Great and Terrible Beauty series has that mixture of magic, victorian england, friendship, adventure, proper society and whatnot that makes it so beautiful :ashika:

The last few months I have been reading the book serie The Wheel of Time written by Robert Jordan. It is fantasy litrature, you can probalbly think of it as a mixture of Lord of the rings and Narnia somehow. The serie consists of 12 books , which are all fairly long , I would guess an avrage of 800 pages. These books are so legendary, it is hard to understand how tobert jordan manages to write these books.... I strongly recomend everybody to ready these books, they are created with a magic touch.

Robert Jordan died before finishing the last book =[

i consider myself a past-bookworm (i was up till about gr8-9), all time fav. is still potter and i haven't succumbed to the twilight faze yet (trying not to jinx myself here)~ oh and the ones by dan brown, the BOOKS not the movie/s.

the only book i would never recommend is one called johnny hart's heroes,

it is the most boring book ever written and its about droving, extreme lack of plot, pointless dialogue and did i mention its boring? we had to read it for yr10 english.

that's all from me~

In 6th grade I used to sip lunch to go to the library... my dad got really mad when he found out. Anyways, I don't have time to read anymore =[ I used to read Harry Potter like mad... even did the forums and went to the parties and played the video games and everything. I also loved the His Dark Materials series and going back even further I liked Boxcar children... these days I really like Pride and Prejudice and Gone With the Wind. Les Miserables is wonderful. All of Sherlock Holmes is terrific. I've also read every single one of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series and my library's collection of Ellery Queen, since they don't have all of them.

The Picture of Dorian Grey is my favorite book of the year, and Oscar Wilde is my favorite author of the year, since I spend all my time studying and not reading now =[

I did, however, just skim through a Thursday Next book just yesterday.

Am I the only one in here who think Pride and Prejudice is a bit overrated? Nothing really happens... But maybe I don't like because I find it hard to keep track of all the million different characters. Prefer Brontë's novels then, I've read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. Which of the others are the best, do you think?

Have to mention some Swedish books as well. Doctor Glas by Hjalmar Söderberg is dealing with kind of the same issues as Crime and Punishment, but it's shorter and and very melancolic, in a beutiful way. Read it! Kallocain by Karin Boye is a dystopia about a chemist inventing a elixir forcing people to tell the truth. Especially when I was younger, I adored the Norwegian author Jostein Gaarder, who writes very philosopical books, such as Sophie's World, The Ringmaster's Daugther and The Solitaire Mystery.

I also like Like Water for Chocolate, 1984 and Brave New World (I'm into dystopias :D ). The worst books I know is probably Thérèse Raquin, it's horrible!

I also like Like Water for Chocolate, 1984 and Brave New World (I'm into dystopias :D ). The worst books I know is probably Thérèse Raquin, it's horrible!

I love dystopias too! Brave New World affected me a lot, particularly. And I loved the Giver when I was in elementary school.

Edited by purple