For bookworms and bibliophiles...

Afterglow

Elsa loves Paul Coelho, I probably should find one of his books and find out what the fuss is all about :D

@syrianstar: Don't worry I don't particularly like Jane Eyre either. Thank god I read that before I read Pride and Prejudice. If I read P&P first I don't think I'll ever be able to finish Jane Eyre.

I just finished Phillippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl (made into film with Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman and Eric Bana). Not exactly historically accurate all the way but since when were historical novels accurate? :lol: But anyway it got me hooked enough to read the whole book in one go in one night. I haven't read a book that fast in a long time. A pretty good book, I suppose, not one that made me go Wow after reading but interesting. Now I feel like I need to read the rest of the series.

I was reading a lot right up until IB started :yes: Oh well, I'm hardly the first.

Strongly rooted to fantasy for pure escapism and enjoyment, I leave the heavy reading for when I want to do something half-intellectual (Like A Clockwork Orange, 1984, Brave New World, Flowers for Algernon). For entertainment purposes I like Steven Erikson, Robin Hobb, George RR Martin, the late Robert Jordan, Sergei Lukyaneko, Scott Lynch and Steven King. All great authors IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Loving this post ^^ good one, afterglow :P

Fave books? Hmm. I also really really reallllyyyyyyyy love the Twilight series- and I can't believe the movie's coming out soon! YAY! Edward Cullen forever ;)

To the person who liked Chocolat: ME TOO!

Um... the Tea Rose and Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly are also really worth reading, as is ANYTHING by Melina Marchetta.

OH OH OHHHHH- how could ANYONE forget the Time Traveller's Wife?!

And for the artistically inclined (such as myself), the Griffin and Sabine Trilogy is quite a resounding read.

I love reading, and I do it a lot more than I should.. which is why my grades aren't what they should be. :)

I just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer, and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and I really enjoyed both of them.

My favourite novel is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. When you read it, it really feels as if the characters are your real friends, and the language and Tartt's style are wonderful. You should really read it. I've made many of my friends read it, and so far everyone has loved it. :)

I used to be such a bookworm! :P When I was a kiddo I would read books day and night. Actually, my mom accostumated us (me and my sister) to go to the local library every friday afternoon from a very early age. So we spent there a good couple of hours...and then I became a member of the library (I couldn't before because I was errrr probably 3 years old) and started borrowing tons and tons of books to read at home. I would finish two to four books per week. Of course, looking at them now, it looks like a joke, but then, it took me a lot of effort to finish up so many pages. Basically I read Enid Blyton books. 'Secret Seven', 'Famous Five', 'The O'Sullivan Twins' (forgive me for the spelling)...I have grown up reading them...and I discovered Harry Potter! I swear, when I first read it, it had not caugh up in such a way...and, being a kid, I took pride in thinking I was a lucky charm, haha.

During the past six/seven years I have slowed down on the number of books I read...but still, I have managed to read some really interesting books, the latest being 'The God Of Small Things' by Arundhati Roy. Love it to bits. I finished it a week ago and I am re-reading some portions here and there.

Some other favourites: 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen, 'Persuasion' again by Austen, 'Anna Karennina' by Tolstoi and I am sure there are more which are not coming to my mind right now...

But I like reading almost anything...even trashy books...but of course, once I am finished one, it has entretained me enough, I forget about it quite easily :yes:

By the way, anyone here has read something about Milan Kundera? 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'...anyone?

I've just read Down and Out in Paris and London, by George Orwell. Having read 1984, Animal Farm, The Road to Wigan Pier and quite a few of his essays, I grew curious about his first published book. It's flawed, but excellent. Also read Birdsong, which I must say I hated. Also just finished The Glass Bead Game and Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse, both of which get five stars....

In the middle of reading A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Breakfast on Pluto by Patrick McCabe (having seen the film!)... and rereading Plato's Republic.

On my summer reading list are The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, All Quiet on the Western Front, Goodbye to All That... and anything you can recommend, based on the books I've been reading!

My favourite novel is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. When you read it, it really feels as if the characters are your real friends, and the language and Tartt's style are wonderful. You should really read it. I've made many of my friends read it, and so far everyone has loved it. :)

Yes! I love that book! Tartt's The Little Friend was a decent book, but a disappointment after TSH.

Oh, Henry. Oh, Francis.

Guest syrianstar
I've just read Down and Out in Paris and London, by George Orwell. Having read 1984, Animal Farm, The Road to Wigan Pier and quite a few of his essays, I grew curious about his first published book. It's flawed, but excellent.

Oooh I did George Orwell's 'Down and out in Paris and London' as the text for my GCSE Eng Lit exam! From the first few pages I was horrified at what I was reading and thought it couldn't get any worse, but it improved dramatically and I actually enjoyed immensely (except the part where the wierd Charlie character does what does to that poor woman in the basement. Eeeek :0) I also recently completed 1984 for a novel study project; the main idea was extremely interesting (the whole telescreens issue and Big Brother), but at times it got so philosophical I wanted to change my novel - that's definitely one book I won't be reading again for a long time :) As for Animal Farm, it's so much more fun to pretend that its just about animals and ignore the whole Russian government connection :P

Edited by syrianstar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest dragonb111

Pendragon is the best series. Along with the Left Behind series. I dislike the Harry Potter series. I find the books to be descriptive and they lack action. The characters on the cover look messed up also.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to read right now Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Anyone read it?

This is probably a little too late, but I read Fingersmith a while ago. It's not bad, but a bit on the long side, mainly because it goes through a set of events in two points of view.

I've always read a lot of books, starting from when I finally managed to understand English (probably in about P2). I started with comics (well, what else?) like Asterix and Obelix, or Adventures of Tintin, but quickly moved on to books with more...text. I recently read 'Like Water For Chocolate' by Laura Esquivel, 'Fasting, Feasting' by Anita Desai, 'Gweilo' by Martin Booth, and 'Kitchen' by Banana Yoshimoto, all for IB.

There's a book fair every summer here in Hong Kong, and I always go because the books are cheaper there :D I went yesterday and bought 'Vellum' by Hal Duncan (kinda confusing, but not bad overall) and 'The Key To Midnight' by Dean Koontz (love his books). My friends complain that I read too fast and too many books... That's probably why my bookshelf doesn't have enough space for my books anymore.

I recommend Thomas Harris' 'Hannibal' series - the films aren't really as good as the books. I also read Harry Potter, Dan Brown, James Patterson... I'm not really a fan of Twilight, though (don't hit me!), probably because Edward's too perfect? It's sort of an instinctive dislike...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope I didn't miss it, but I just couldn't find any topic where we can talk about books and even recommend some.

So, which are the books that made you think? Or maybe some you didn't forget that easily...

I'm always very happy when I can read "Hundred years of solitude"...this would be like the...fifth time, but it really makes me feel good.

What about you?

It would be great if you could also recommend some French and Spanish ones, which are not too difficult to read

my bad....

Edited by monica