General IB Knowledge - Ask mini-questions about IB here

ibnerd22222

Hey Guys!

I'm currently in the research phase of my EE. I'm doing it in chemistry... Would this be a good research topic: "What blend of ethanol and gasoline is the best to use in cars?"

Please help...

Thanks

This could be okay, but you need to have a good, viable experiment in order to do well. How are you planning on testing this?

• 1 month later...

I have a friend who is in IB and she failed one of her math classes with a 58. Is she even eligible to be in IB anymore?

This depends entirely on your school's policy regarding grades and if you are required to have a certain grade in classes to continue doing it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Part I: Works in Translation (things like Fathers and Children, Sound of Waves, and Chronicle of a Death Foretold-all taken from IB's prescribed list) - things not originally written in your lang A that have been translated into your language

Part II: Detailed Study (examining plot, literary devices, etc. of the 3 novels from this part) - you have to do the IOC (Individual Oral Commentary) on this.

Part III: Literary Genres - do a comparative essay and examine how the genre influences certain aspects of each book (Paper 2 tests this)

Part IV: Options - whatever your teacher wants. You do the IOP (Individual Oral Presentation) on these!

Hope this helps :) good luck on your exams!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi I am a 10th grader going into full IB diploma. I have my three SL's and two of my HL's next year (year 11). I was just wondering, since I technically only have one HL leftover to do my senior year, is it mandatory to still have a schedule loaded with IB, or can I just take my HL and a TOK my 12th year?

Hi I am a 10th grader going into full IB diploma. I have my three SL's and two of my HL's next year (year 11). I was just wondering, since I technically only have one HL leftover to do my senior year, is it mandatory to still have a schedule loaded with IB, or can I just take my HL and a TOK my 12th year?

This is a weird thing your school does. Why are you taking all of your SL exams and two of your HL exams after what I presume to be just one year of study? That sounds like a recipe for low grades on your school's part. How do you have time to learn a two year course in a year for five subjects? /confused

If you already took five of your courses a year early, I suppose you don't have to load your schedule up with IB ones? Unless you wanted certificates, which are kind of pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. OK. So I'm guessing you're asking with regards to maths?

In general, the HL subjects are more work, as they require a lot more study time since there are a lot of new concepts that you don't come across.

It all depends on YOU as the individual, if you don't mind memorising a tonne of information, I would recommend subjects such as biology, geography, history, etc. as your higher levels.

However if you love working with numbers and mathematically related concepts, obviously try maths, or physics or chemistry.

In terms of difference between hl and sl subject, English A1 is not too much of a difference, apart from extra reading and different mark boundaries and IOC (oral commentary) requirements.

Personally, I would say mathematics and chemistry are difficult HL subjects.

• 1 month later...

guys i have a doubt ok my subjet choices are

ECO- HL

B&M-HL

ENGLISH-HL

PHYSICS -SL

FRENCH AB INITIO

MATH STUDIES

so what can be my carrer (the field i can go with this subjects )

:confused:    :question:

What interests you? Surely you had some sort of idea when you picked your subjects.

Guest PotassiumBro

Hi everyone. I will be starting the IB Diploma next year. Just wondering, are students expected to be independent learners and teach themselves the content?

ECO- HL

B&M-HL

ENGLISH-HL

PHYSICS -SL

FRENCH AB INITIO

MATH STUDIES

:confused:    :question:

What interests you? Surely you had some sort of idea when you picked your subjects.

yes bbs and further mba what elso apart from this can i do

Guest PotassiumBro

Hi everyone. I will be starting the IB Diploma next year. Just wondering, are students expected to be independent learners and teach themselves the content?

Bump

ECO- HL

B&M-HL

ENGLISH-HL

PHYSICS -SL

FRENCH AB INITIO

MATH STUDIES

Where do you want to study? From your subject choices it seems like you are interested in business so I suggest you to switch to Math SL. Then you could maybe get into something finance-related, otherwise it's not so possible (unless you choose a mediocre college, maybe). 

If you want to study Economics in the UK then you would even need Math HL so you may consider dropping B&M (it's considered a "soft" subject anyway). It really depends on where you want to study as every country has its own specific rules of admission.

Also, with English Literature HL you wil most likely get into Law in the UK. Don't know how it is with other countries, though.

Hope I helped.

Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

Bump

This really depends on the subject and your school's policy but yes - the IB puts a great emphasis on students being able to study independently. You don't have to teach yourself the entire content as the teachers will also teach you something during the classes (obviously) but you will have to revise quite a lot during these two years (so not only in exam time!).

Also, if you choose a subject like Math HL then you will be expected to devote a few hours every day solely on Math revision. 

ECO- HL

B&M-HL

ENGLISH-HL

PHYSICS -SL

FRENCH AB INITIO

MATH STUDIES

Where do you want to study? From your subject choices it seems like you are interested in business so I suggest you to switch to Math SL. Then you could maybe get into something finance-related, otherwise it's not so possible (unless you choose a mediocre college, maybe). 

If you want to study Economics in the UK then you would even need Math HL so you may consider dropping B&M (it's considered a "soft" subject anyway). It really depends on where you want to study as every country has its own specific rules of admission.

Also, with English Literature HL you wil most likely get into Law in the UK. Don't know how it is with other countries, though.

Hope I helped.

Oh, I'm sorry. I see that you are taking exams in November 2014 so you won't be able to switch your subjects anymore. If so then I recommend to either apply to Law in the UK or check the entry requirements for business majors in the US. Admission counselors in the US don't put such a great emphasis on the subjects taken by a student so you may get into a finance-related major even with Math Studies. However, it would be good if you tried your best to get a 7 in Math Studies. Otherwise you may seem a weak applicant for anything finance-related.

Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

ECO- HL

B&M-HL

ENGLISH-HL

PHYSICS -SL

FRENCH AB INITIO

MATH STUDIES

Hope I helped.

thank you it really helped

• Like 1