Writing a good Historical Investigation

Survival Robot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Torkwase

hey i have some questions about the format, like is every section apart from the biblio. in continuous prose or can some be put in lists? and exactly how do you do the first part? it sounds very much like an introduction to me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest entrancer

so, does anybody have a link or a saved version of the h.i. mark scheme?

mine is due tomorrow and i didn't bring my binder home, so i can't just run it by to make sure it's alright.

so if anyone happens to just have one.. that would be helpful.

i've gutted google to no success.

thanks!

p.s. why is everything here "history of the islamic world"? what about "history of the americas" too?!

p.p.s. i know, i know, i have to be a V.I.P. to see the one that's already posted ... but my h.i. is due tomorrow. so i'm desperate for the time being.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hey i have some questions about the format, like is every section apart from the biblio. in continuous prose or can some be put in lists? and exactly how do you do the first part? it sounds very much like an introduction to me.

in Section A: plan of investigation, you have to include your essay question

and you also can write in list or in prose how you prefer (I did in list) the method

(write what you are going to analyse in the essay) for example: a: reasearch about...

b: selection and reading books about...

Section B; yes, is an introduction of what your are going to analyze in section D.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest nicolefroio
C- Evaluation of Sources: (Total Marks = 4)

This is where the student writes a critical evaluation of two important sources appropriate to the investigation and should refer to the origin, purpose, value and limitation of each one (remember them from paper 1? Source-based questions?). Although one might use more than two sources, it is much better to emphasize on two sources rather than a superficial evaluation of more. :D

I understand that but what if i find information about the source in another source?

do i say "this source says that the film i've used..." or do i just credit it in the end with the bibliography? is iMDB.com a reliable source (i.e does the IB deem it reliable?)?

Should it have my personal opinions about the source?

Thank you

You should have 2 distinctly independent source. IMDB is NOT a reliable source in this case - because the source should be the movie/documentary, not the IMDB page about it.

While it sounds really complicated up there, honestly all you have to focus on is the folliwng bit: "should refer to the origin, purpose, value and limitation of each one"

It's a very brief evaluation so you should only talk about those 4 things about the sources. You talk about only your two chosen sources and no other.

Your opinion is expressed only in what you think the origins, purposes, values and limitations of the sources are.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lily Bean
wait... isnt it internal assessment?

i thought the grades were just sort of reported to the ib, but not actually SENT to grade?

They're internally assessed and then moderated by IB examiners so they do get sent away