French B SL Oral tips?

BettyJaan

From a previous post of mine:

On 2017-10-18 at 9:48 AM, Nomenclature said:

As for the oral, if you practice, that should help. I really just assumed that you guys were doing lots of writing in class because we always did in my Spanish HL, ditto with reading. But a lot of people don't get to practice as much with speaking. To prepare for my oral, I downloaded an app called HelloTalk to talk with native speakers (really not necessary, only if you want to go above and beyond) and I practiced a few times by using google images and typing in "health" of "family"; things like that, which is quite easy and what I'd recommend in general. If you can, get a friend whose good at French to then ask you questions after your initial speaking period so that it is as much like the oral as possible.

A few other general tips for the oral: Only briefly describe the image, and don't feel the need to go into detail. I know that it can be really hard to say that the cup is on top of the table behind the bread and in front of the old man. So don't waste your time too much with that and just talk about your experience with family, meals, in general.

Also, if you find yourself struggling to construct a phrase for about ten seconds or more, just forget about it and move on. It's okay if you don't know how to say something.

Lastly, when your teacher asks you questions, let him/her speak and do not actually answer until he/she is done speaking. This will give you lots of time to think of an answer as we normally understand what a person is asking us before they actually finish speaking. So instead of starting to talk as you normally would do in conversation, let the teacher carry on and use those precious seconds to think. Some teachers will elaborate and restate things in different ways so that you have more time to think. 

Good luck.

• Like 1